Thread: Diagnosed Yesterday

Thanks

Default Diagnosed Yesterday

And they put me on prednisone. I heard prednisone is awful.

Any tips on diet that help inflammation, and tips to counteract the awful that comes with prednisone?

I'm in college, so there's not a whole lot I can do about what I eat, but if there are any foods I should stay away from, or things I should drink more of, I would love to know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi!
    My name is Ashley. I was diagnosed with Lupus January 12, 2009. At the time, I was 16 years old. Now, i'm a 21 year old senior in college. When I was first admitted into the hospital for lupus complications, they immediately started me on 40 mg prednisone. I'm not going to lie, it was terrible. It made me such an angry person and I ate everything and anything in site. Looking back, I wish that I would have eaten a lot of healthier things, but instead, I went right for the junk food. You mentioned you're in college. Do you live on campus?? If so, does your dining hall have a salad bar or an area for fruits and veggies? Try your best to snack on things that are good for you. Don't be like me and eat an entire family sized bag of chips in one sitting. I also try not to drink pop as often because Lupus has given me dry mouth which makes it more likely for me to have teeth problems and such. It's a pain.
    What are your lupus symptoms?? feel free to private message me so we can talk!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ashleybaby715 For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (02-11-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybaby715 View Post
    Hi!
    My name is Ashley. I was diagnosed with Lupus January 12, 2009. At the time, I was 16 years old. Now, i'm a 21 year old senior in college. When I was first admitted into the hospital for lupus complications, they immediately started me on 40 mg prednisone. I'm not going to lie, it was terrible. It made me such an angry person and I ate everything and anything in site. Looking back, I wish that I would have eaten a lot of healthier things, but instead, I went right for the junk food. You mentioned you're in college. Do you live on campus?? If so, does your dining hall have a salad bar or an area for fruits and veggies? Try your best to snack on things that are good for you. Don't be like me and eat an entire family sized bag of chips in one sitting. I also try not to drink pop as often because Lupus has given me dry mouth which makes it more likely for me to have teeth problems and such. It's a pain.
    What are your lupus symptoms?? feel free to private message me so we can talk!
    Very good advice, Ashley.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Prednisone makes your stomach rumbly, so try to keep snacks on hand that are healthy and keep you full. I have found pretzels works best for me. Like Ashley said sodas are pretty bad for your teeth and health so try to minimize them. The steroids completely changed my taste buds so luckily for me that made me hate the taste of sodas. Drink lots and lots of water. To battle the dry mouth biotene has some good toothpaste and mouthwash. Try to keep your stress level low, i know it's going to be hard with college but stress makes you sicker. I'm 23 and was diagnosed when I was 14, if you have any questions or want to chat feel free to message me anytime.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

The advice you have been given is good. Food seems to taste really good on the steroids so just make sure you keep healthier things around and not let yourself get drawn into the trap of eating a lot of junk food. Just like everything else with this disease, a healthy diet is best. If you can keep healthy snacks around for those munchy moments it will help a lot
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~