Thread: Ollo

Thanks

Default Ollo

Hi! I'm Melly, I'm new.

In June, I started getting strange rashes on my legs. Then in about September, swelling and pain started. My PCP said she thought I had lupus, and when she did blood work, my ANA levels were elevated. Just yesterday I finally saw the Rheumatologist. I was diagnosed with both lupus and fibromyaglia.

He put me on a bunch of meds, the main one being prednisone. I don't really want to take prednisone. I heard it has awful side effects.

I'm scared, and being 19, it's really hard to explain to my friends why I hurt all the time, even though I look okay.

So here I am, finding support in people who -will- understand.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome Melly;
    I am sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with these issues. I, too, have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. However, I am much older than you. However, I still understand the constant pain and fatigue that both illnesses cause. It is often difficult to know which illness is causing which pain. However, the medications for both are generally the same.
    I know that the thought of taking Prednisone with its side effects is scary. But, for treating the symptoms of Lupus, often times it is best to learn to live with the side effects because it is much more important to treat the symptoms. The moon face and weight gain are usually the most noticeable side effects. If you can exercise regularly, I would suggest that you continue to do so and eat a healthy diet (usually the American Heart Association's diet is a good one to follow). Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Also, it is important that you protect yourself from the sun and fluorescent lighting. I suggest that you wear sunscreen every day (a minimum 50SPF) and wear clothing that covers you body as much as possible. Wear sunglasses with UV protection and hats.
    It is also important that you avoid stress, get rest as much as you can, and take your medications diligently.
    This site is filled with wonderful people who want to help you as much as we can. I am glad that you are here and we have many members in your age group. You are not alone!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    I
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-13-2014)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I don't have much to add to what Susie said but I did want to welcome you. I know the meds are scary but they are not near as scary as what the disease itself can do if left untreated. I am glad you found us and please make yourself at home. Welcome to the WHL family. We are here for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~