Thread: Dental problems?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Dental problems?

Hi guys!! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increase in dental problems since being diagnosed with Lupus. For example, I have had one cavity in my 21 years of life...but I went to the dentist yesterday and I was told I have FOUR! WHAT?!
    Can Lupus increase the chances of getting cavities??? I read that dry mouth could be an issue, but idk. It just seems weird because I actually have cut down on drinking pop and other sugary things. If anything, I expected to get a better report than normal!

This is just so frustrating. Between this and the new rash i've developed on my cheeks. Ughhh!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

unfortunately, lupus can effect many different parts of our body.
    if your blood is effected, then anything that blood circulates through, can also be effected.
    as your gums are susceptible, to good blood flow, this may be part of the issue.

also as you said, dry mouth makes it harder for our saliva to interact with the food, washing it away, and cleansing our teeth also.

once you have a small decay started,.... the fact that we have suppressed our immune system also assist with this decay.

so all in all, it is a wonder we have any teeth left
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Absolutely! I about cried in an dentist appointment when I had 2 cavities because I was doing everything right and still getting them. He reassured me that this is really common with people who have dry mouth and lupus.