Thread: Bloodwork question

Thanks

Question Bloodwork question

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get a little insight into my life. I was diagnosed years ago with lupus, and was on plaquenel for awhile and have been nearly symptom and medication free for about 5 years. I've been very worn out and just "off" lately and bloodwork has been normal. I finally went back to rheumy, and below is a list of abnormalities in my panels that all seem to be only slightly abnormal. I'm having a full abdominal ultrasound tomorrow and doctor wont' see me until after those results are in to discuss blood results. Any insight into what any of these abnormalities could indicate? It looks like most of them can relate to kidneys in one way or another, correct? Thanks in advance!

Creatinine - high 1.05
    Sodium - high 145
    A/G Ratio - high 2.7
    Alkaline Phosphatase - low 38
    WBC esterase - trace abnormal
    ANA - High homogeneous pattern 1:320

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,263 Posts

hi,
    sorry I am not up on results,
    so I cannot answer ....
    but I did want to say hi.

one of the things you have to remember is your immune system is a good computerised system.
    it is designed to overcome whatever is thrown at it .....
    so it is normal for it to try to bypass medications.
    that is why it is a good practice to have your medications reviewed every year.
    and a full blood work screening as well.
    just to keep an eye on things.

I hope you can adjust your medications to keep things under control
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-08-2015)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 719 Posts

Hi Oilgaslb;
    Steve has given you great information and advice about a yearly revue of your medications. Is Plaquenil the only medication that you were taking? I will try to give you a basic understanding of your lab results. But please remember that we are not doctors...all labs do not use the same values....your particular values must be discussed with your doctor!

Creatin:
    The creatinine blood test is used to assess kidney function. In the diagnostic process, it is used to see if there is any kidney damage which could be due to Lupus. It is often used in people already diagnosed with lupus kidney disease (nephritis) to determine the level of their kidney function. Creatinine is produced by your muscles as they breakdown creatine, a substance involved in muscle contraction. Creatinine is formed at a constant rate in the body and excreted by the kidneys, so by evaluating the amount of creatinine in your blood, your doctor can determine how efficiently your kidneys are working. Creatinine levels are measured by taking a sample of blood from your vein; then, the concentration of creatinine in your blood is compared to a standard amount for your age and sex. Increased blood creatinine levels may indicate an increase in lupus involvement of the kidney. Other conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, can also cause elevated creatinine levels.
    Sodium (electrolytes): Electrolytes are ions (electrically charged chemicals) in the blood and other body fluids. The concentration of electrolytes in your body depends on adequate intake of nutrients, proper absorption of nutrients by the intestines, and proper kidney and lung function. Abnormal electrolyte concentrations can indicate abnormalities in certain organs and bodily processes. For example, retention of sodium, bicarbonate, or calcium can indicate problems with kidney function. Hormones also help to control electrolyte concentrations, so abnormal electrolyte levels can also reveal certain hormone deficiencies or problems with certain hormone-regulating glands or organs. Some of the electrolytes measured in a comprehensive metabolic panel include Sodium. Sodium helps to regulate your body’s water balance and plays an important role in proper heart rhythm, blood pressure, blood volume, and brain and nerve function. Hypernatremia refers to having too much sodium in the blood; this can occur, for example, due to a high-salt diet. Too much sodium in your blood can cause high blood pressure, among other things. Hyponatremia refers to having too little sodium in the blood. Hyponatremia can cause confusion, restlessness, anxiety, weakness, and muscle cramps. Sodium levels in the blood are regulated by a hormone called aldosterone that is secreted by the adrenal glands. Aldosterone works to regulate sodium levels by increasing your kidneys’ reabsorption of sodium ions.

A/G Ratio: Total protein and albumin are routinely included in the panels of tests performed as part of a physical, such as a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP), so they are frequently assessed as a part of an evaluation of a person's overall health status. Total protein measurements can be used to help diagnose kidney disease or liver disease. Sometimes conditions are detected with routine testing before symptoms appear. If total protein is abnormal, further testing must be performed to identify which specific protein is abnormally low or high so that a specific diagnosis can be made. A low total protein level can suggest a liver disorder, a kidney disorder, or a disorder in which protein is not digested or absorbed properly. A high total protein level may be seen with chronic inflammation, a primary symptom of Lupus. Some laboratories report total protein,albumin, and the calculated ratio of albumin to globulins, termed the A/G ratio. Normally, there is a little more albumin than globulins, giving a normal A/G ratio of slightly over 1. Because Lupus affect the relative amounts of albumin and globulin, the A/G ratio may provide a clue as to the cause of the change in protein levels. A low A/G ratio may reflect overproduction of globulins, such as seen in multiple myeloma or autoimmune diseases like Lupus, or underproduction of albumin, such as may occur with cirrhosis, or selective loss of albumin from the circulation, as may occur with kidney disease (nephrotic syndrome - another symptom of Lupus). A high A/G ratio suggests underproduction of immunoglobulins as may be seen in some genetic deficiencies and in some leukemias. More specific tests, such as liver enzym tests and serum protein electrophoresis, must be performed to make an accurate diagnosis. With a low total protein that is due to plasma expansion (dilution of the blood), the A/G ratio will typically be normal because both albumin and globulin will be diluted to the same extent.

Alkaline Phosphate:Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) is an enzyme—a protein that helps to bring about chemical reactions in your body—found mainly in your liver and bones. High levels of ALP in the blood may indicate bone or liver abnormalities. If high ALP values are accompanied by high values of other liver enzymes and bilirubin, then the test suggests liver involvement/damage. Certain ratios of liver enzymes can also indicate more specific conditions such as Lupus.
    (WBC)Leukocyte Esterase
    : White Blood Cell Leukocyte esterase is an enzyme present in your white blood cells. Therefore, the presence of this substance in the urine indicates the presence of white blood cells (leukocyturia). White blood cells in the urine may indicate inflammation of the kidneys or urinary tract due to bacterial infection or disease.

ANA: The immune system makes an abundance of proteins called antibodies. Antibodies are made by white blood cells and they recognize and combat infectious organisms in the body. Sometimes these antibodies make a mistake, identifying normal, naturally-occurring proteins in our bodies as being "foreign" and dangerous. The antibodies that target “normal” proteins within the nucleus of a cell are called antinuclear antibodies (ANA). ANAs could signal the body to begin attacking itself which can lead to autoimmune diseases, including Lupus, Scleroderma, Sjogren's Syndrome, polymyositis/ dermatomyositis, mixed connective tissue disease, drug-induced lupus, and autoimmune hepatitis.

I hope that this has been helpful to you. Please let us know if you need any further information. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!