Thread: Any Help for Mouth Sores?

Thanks

Default Any Help for Mouth Sores?

Hi,
    I am new here, and would like a little help. I have Lupus and fibromyalgia. Have been taking Plaquenil for a while but not working, so am now taking Methotrexate. Never had mouth sores before taking the medications, but am getting them on my tongue now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to heal them up soon? My doctor has me taking 2mg of folic acid and am trying something called Gly-oxide to clean my mouth. Would appreciate anything else you could suggest.
    Thank you,
    Beth

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Girardbe;
    The treatment that your doctor has currently placed you on are some of the best (and most widely used) treatments for the ulcers in your mouth. Glyoxide to help heal and soothe the soreness (the peroxide in this product also helps to remove the sloughing skin) and Steroids (Methotrexate). However, did you or your doctor decide to discontinue the antimalarial (plaquenil)? It was the plaquenil which contributed to the healing of my mouth ulcers. You can still use the antimalarial in conjunction with the steroid treatment (most LUPUS patients do take both).
    You might want to avoid all salty or spicy foods as well as acidy foods and drinks (such as colas, coffees and juices), and hard or crispy foods as they tend to irritate the ulcers. I have read that LYSINE (an amino acid) also aids in the protection of viruses and is effective against mouth sores.
    Most doctors will suggest that you keep that area clean, avoid foods and drinks that irritate the sores and to continue your current treatment. Mouth sores generally go away, but sometimes they do recur. I know that they are painful and cause discomfort!!
    Try to be patient and take care of yourself.
    I hope this has been helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Plaquenil

Hi SaySusie,
    Yes, I do still take the plaquenil, and prednisone for the lupus. Thanks for the suggestion of the Lysine. I think I will try that. I have already learned what to avoid where food is concerned, which leads to bland meals. Hard to taste right now anyway.
    Thanks again,
    Beth

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are more than welcome!
    Take Care and I hope that your mouth ulcers heal quickly

Saysusie
    :lol: