Thread: Not diagnosed yet but cannot understand blood results... they look fine to me but ?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Not diagnosed yet but cannot understand blood results... they look fine to me but ?

Hello! Thank you so much for your time and sharing your knowledge with me! Over a period of two months, I had two blood tests come back ANA positive. My neurologist (whom I'm seeing for chronic migraines) says they were positive for ANA but didn't show a specific disease. She referred me to a Rhumey and she ordered blood and urine tests. I though most of it looked normal but I'm getting different normal ranges than what is listed. My ANA Specify says the normal ranges for all that follows are 0-99 u/mL:

My results were:

SSA : 9
    SSB: 5
    Smith: 10
    RNP: 11
    SCL-70: 4
    JO-1: 8
    Double Stranded DNA: 0
    Centromere: 5
    Histone: 8

According to the standard range of 0-99, there is nothing out of range here, right?

Thanks

Hello,
    I would ask for a copy of your lab results (you paid for them they belong to you).
    Different labs express results differently and your lab results will show the result along with the normal range for the test.

I know that not all results are considered normal between 0 - 99.
    For example Ds-dna is usually expressed as normal between 0 - 10

Hope this helps and welcome!

Niall

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Usually in conjunction with the ANA test, your doctor may run other tests that can help to determine the presence of three specific types of antibodies: anti-dsDNA (anti-double-stranded DNA), anti-Sm (anti-Smith antibodies), and anti-RNP antibodies. The anti-dsDNA and anti-RNP tests confirm whether there are antibodies being produced to the genetic material in the cell. The anti-Sm test measures if there are antibodies against a certain protein found in the nucleus of cells. When either the anti-dsDNA or the anti-Sm antibody test is positive, a person is usually considered to have SLE. Knowing which particular antibody is responsible for the positive ANA test can help determine which autoimmune disease is present.
    The SSA antigen is also referred to as the "Ro/SSA" antigen. When SSA is found in combination with the SSB (la) antigen, it commonly points to Sjögren's Syndrome. The test that is given to identify SSA and SSB antigens in the blood stream often includes a CBC (complete blood count) as well as a liver and kidney function reading, blood glucose level reading and a Rheumatoid Factor (RF) reading.

Laboratory test results may vary depending on your age, gender, health history, the method used for the test, and many other factors. However, some common numbers are as follows:
    SSA (RO) Antibodies
    Negative: 10.0 U/mL - you are at 9

SSB: The normal range is 0-29 AU/mL. - you are at 5

Smith: Adults: Negative [4] - you are 10

RNP:
    Less than 1.0 U (negative)
    More than or equal to 1.0 U (positive). - you are at 11

SCL- This test detects anti-Scl-70 antibodies in blood: Adults: Negative [8] - you are at 4

JO-1 - This test measures the amount of antibodies to anti-Jo-1 in blood. It is used to help diagnose and manage muscle diseases that affects the immune system such as polymyositis associated with autoimmune disease: Negative [8]- You are at 8
    Only your doctor can give you an answer as to what your values mean for you. As n.mac suggested, you have a right to request a copy of your test results and to have your doctor explain what they mean to you. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!