Thread: A delicate question...

Thanks

Default A delicate question...

Heres the thing...
    I know I desperately need anxiety meds and sleeping meds, but my dr looked at me like i was crazy when i just striaght up asked for them. How do you guys ask for meds you need without coming across as an addict?

Thanks

Isn't it a bit like a mind game? For example when you get your man to think he made the decision, but actually you led him to that decision all along? lol

I don't know. I think the thing is your dr knowing you well enough to realise that you know what you're talking about and trusting you. I do think tho that sometimes...and I use that word loosely...a dr knows stuff we don't and the decision to take those meds is more complicated than we think it is, ie...side effects, drug combinations, alternative remedies etc.

Jx

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i have a good relationship with my doctor.

but i tell him my symptoms, and question some possible solutions.

i leave it up to him to decide what is best action to take.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Nonna (01-08-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

See to me it doesn't make you sound like your an addict, but that's me and I have had the same situations. I don't think having serious requests should become a mind game to get them, honestly tell him your symptoms and why you think you need them. Basically what I told my doctor when I first started the sleeping pills was 'i need to sleep more than 3 hours or i'm likely to stab someone because it is making me so crazy' and because over the counter stuff never worked she wrote me the prescriptions and I hit and missed some but now I sleep through the night. It didn't turn into a mind game to get them, I made a request and had real symptoms to justify the pills.

Thanks

I think you have to make sure you are seeing a doc who really has a good understanding of what our symptoms are and what side effects we suffer with. I have been with my doc seven years, even before lupus came along so he knows me pretty well. Did your doc tell you no? Did you explain in full detail why you feel you need them, and let him know what else you have already tried?