Thread: controlling body temp (or the inability to)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default controlling body temp (or the inability to)

I have no control over my body temperature. My husband says I'm close relative to lizards (I'll go with geckos-they're cute!)

Anyhow...

I am at the mercy of the environment I'm in at any given moment. My husband does a great job of regulating the temperature in our house. Work, however, is another story: I work with people who, for whatever reason are cold all the time ( I refer to them as human popsicles) so the furnace is on way to often and it becomes a sauna in the office. I have a fan at my desk that I have to run, just so I don't get overcome by the heat. They may be comfortable, but I'm overheating. My desk is in the reception area which is less than 5 feet from the door. The cold blasts of winter in the Rockies slams straight into my desk every time the door is open and it it is snowing? Guess who has to blow snow off paperwork? So the radical temperature changes reek havoc on me. I'm either overheating or chilled to the bone. Often several times a day. I can't get the boss to lower the thermostat to a reasonable level. Maybe I'm wrong, but 80 degrees fahrenheit is a bit much in my opinion. He also refuses to put up a barrier between my desk and the door so I'm not blasted by cold and snow.

I have the fan for when I'm overheating, and a sweater for when I'm freezing. Any other suggestions? Short of looking for another job in a temperature controlled environment?
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I also had a heater under my desk. Summer or winter I was being froze out. I asked several different doctors and Lupus does affect our internal thermostat. I also put my feet in a box to keep the drafts off and ankles, wearing a hat helps to keep the heat in your body also.

Good Luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm with you, I run hot and get over heated quickly. I think the problem with heaters in a building is there is no air moving. It just hot and stuffy air.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have the same issues with being cold one minute and like a popsicle the next! However, I work at home so I am able to adjust the temperature to my liking.
    It would seem to me that there is some type of remedy for your boss' failure to consider your health and your safety at the office. Perhaps you can contact his supervisor or whomever is the top gun in your office and ask for their help in resolving this issue because it is threat to your health. If you get no help or cooperation there, you can contact OSHA, or go to their website to see what they say about occupational health and safety. You may be able to make a report to them about the issue of the door with snow and cold that comes in each time it is opened and your boss' refusal to make that area a safe and healthy one for you. Honestly, I think that it is something that he is required to do. What if you developed pneumonia and had to be hospitalized because of the extreme variations of temperature in your office? You could then sue them and/or file for workmen's comp. It would seem to me that this would be something he'd want to avoid.

I wish you the best and please let us know how things work out.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I am hot hot hot. I compare myself to similar people when in public, and they are not as hot as I am. My face and neck get very flushed when overheated. This can last for hours. Is this a known symptom of SLE? I rarely get the cold periods as mentioned by others. That only happens when I'm not active, which isn't very often. by active, I'm not including exercise, just moving and doing constantly. Living in FL means mostly high temps and heat & humidity. Any suggestions?

Thanks

When I moved to the city from a much smaller place, I was always sweaty. Always warm. I blamed it on small classrooms. Too many students. Too much mental activity. I was just different. I'd gained weight. Was older. 25 was "older" apparently. I knew something was wrong when I was ice skating in a tank top while others froze in hats and scarves. But even while being trained as a medical researcher, and autoimmune disease on both sides of the family, the school doctor never tested for lupus, or even an ESR, ANA... I always explained everything away. 8 years later; my temp has never been higher than 97.6, even when I felt feverish. That is why I started monitoring. I felt so clammy and sick, but my temp was below normal. Then I measured every day. 96.3 - 97.6, until I'd been on plaquenil for a couple of weeks. Then it was miraculously above 98 every time. And I didn't sweat during the day or night. I'm allergic to plaquenil, and am beginning to sweat more. I can never get enough sleep. I wonder if my temp dropped again? I think abnormalities in temp regulation may be a part of SLE for many people, but is largely undiagnosed. We should all chart our temps several times a day, with a numerical scale of how we feel. Not scientific, but maybe informative?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kmosa For This Useful Post:

colorsue (12-29-2013)

Thanks

Like colorsue I also flush. Mine happens when I've exerted myself, or am in the heat or sun for any amount of time. It gets quite embarrassing at times.
    As for temperature regulation while at work: in the US the ADA requires employeers make reasonable accomadations due to our disability. You may need a letter from your doctor, but I don't think your supervisor can refuse a resonable request - of course this also means disclosing your conditions to your workplace. Google about ADA for more info and responsibiliities for your employer and you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbyrition For This Useful Post:

colorsue (12-29-2013)

Thanks

I am curious. Does this rush of heat ever happen while you are sleeping? I find I become very warm and need to take of my nightgown quite often lately. I have also discovered that my ANA has shot up (I have had Lupus for over 40 years and I have been doing great with my ANA until Dec.2.) After reading your 'hot, hot',hot', I'm wondering if it is related. Two other things:
    menopause passed years ago.?....and I don't get flushed during the day.......

Thanks

(LindaJ: I put a message in your inbox... I just had a couple of questions for you!! (smiles))

I have MAJOR heating/cooling issues. It is brutal here in southwestern Ontario... horrible humid and hot summers (not that it's not in other areas of the continent) and horrible cold cold in winter. Not many schools have air conditioning and I find that I am DYING in the classroom among all the sweaty kid bodies. It is actually debilitating and I have asked to be transferred to an air conditioned school but they are so few and far between. it is down right unhealthy in June, and then September and sometimes into October even!!! (when school starts back up)

Now that I have been off, I can control my environment but if I'm in someone else's house it can be so uncomfortable that I can't even stay. It's very frustrating but apparently quite common with us. I'm so glad we are voicing our problems... gives more support to outside sources (sometimes even doctors) who think we are just complainers. Also, my doctor is pretty sure I'm not going through early menopause either (I'm 39), but I have always been this sensitive to hot and cold. Annoying!
    We're here for a good time, not a long time!!!!!

Thanks

I am always hot and flushed looking. When i come back from gym face is scarlet and i have soaked hair while around me hardly seem hot!