Thread: Understanding Lupus Blood results

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Understanding Lupus Blood results

My wife was diagnosed with SLE earlier in the year. We were told her Lupus was high and she was given steroid based medications which she did not take. She did a complete diet change and tried accupuncture which seemed to make her feel better. Her accupunturist was quite good and combined accupuncture, with dry cupping and massage. She recently requested her Doctor for new blood tests to evaluate her lupus levels. The doctors feedback from the blood test is normally your lupus is low, medium or high which is too vague. We would like to understand the blood results and the ranges. Can someone advise what we should be looking for in the blood results and the ranges and how we can understand the results. What should we be looking at?

Thanks

Welcome, I have had Lupus for 48 years and I do know some of the blood work but not all. They look for a positive ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies). I don't know the range that is different but it shows auto-immune disorders. I read recently that there is a dsANA (double stranded DNA antibody). That one is more of a concern...something to do with the waste from the cells it destroys does something that damages the kidneys. Another test would be called c3 and c4. These are some of the proteins in our blood. These should be in the normal ranges and below normal range indicates some kind of activity going on. Those are some of the main tests my doctor takes to check up on my Lupus. Hope the natural way continues to work!! Meds always have side effects but I guess I wouldn't be alive if it hadn't of been for them back in 1965.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LindaJ For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-16-2014)

Thanks

Lupus is a serious disease that should not be taken lightly.
    Improving your diet and exercise is to be commended but would not be a substitute for medicine.
    I have never heard of lab results being expressed as low medium or high. They have numerical values and how they are expressed can vary from lab to lab.
    The lab results are yours- ask for a copy. On the lab report it should give the result along with what the normal range is. Values above or below the normal range can be problematic and in many cases are remedied with medication.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-16-2014)