Thread: Kidney Biopsy?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Kidney Biopsy?

I had a few of my labs come in.

My BUN was higher than normal.
    My sed-rate (which usually stays at like, 4) was 28
    My Anti dsDNA (which i had no idea what it was) was 117.8 when the normal range is anything below 30.

When i googled about this, everything was pointing to Lupus Nephritis and it said that when you have a high anti dsdna, you have to get a kidney biopsy.

I have an appointment on the 16th with my rheumy to go over the results, and i'm scared he is going to tell me that i have to get one.
    Has anyone ever gotten a kidney biopsy? If so, what is it like?
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

I have not had a kidney biopsy but I do have a chronically elevated anti ds-dna level and sed-rate .

The anti ds-dna test is very conclusive to lupus but does not necessarily indicate kidney or any organ involvement.

After I was first sent to see a ruhemy after a positive ANA result one of the first follow up lab tests that was performed showed my anti ds-dna level was 285
    and now almost 3 years later last month I was at 135 and sed rate was 22. A few months ago it dropped to 98 but 2 months later it was back to 143.

How it was explained to me is that a positive ANA is indicative to an auto-immune disorder but anti ds-dna points directly to lupus.
    They do keep a closer eye on my labs(full labs every 2 months regardless of how good I feel) but there is no indication of any kidney or any other organ involvement.

Niall

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

LindaJ (01-05-2014), steve.b (12-08-2013)

Thanks

Hi Ashley,
    I have had the biopsy. The anti ds DNA antibody just means the disease is active right now. Hence, they are going to try to get that level down through corticosteroids, immunosuppressive s, or whatever. (With my initial kidney involvement I had a year and a half of chemo (cyclophosphamide) which was tough.

The biopsy is yet another experience. They gave me a sedative under the tongue so I was "awake". I was on the gourney (sp?) on my stomach and they just give you a needle that takes out the little piece of kidney.. A weird feeling but not too bad relative to a lot of other things I've been through with this disease!!!! Definitely not in my top 10 pain experiences. You will be good (wink face).

If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask. When do you get that done???

Smiles,
    Heather
    We're here for a good time, not a long time!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heather123 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (12-08-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

offering good thoughts, hope all is solvable.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

I had one or two done in my lifetime. They numb you and you don't feel anything but pressure. They did not put me under as I still remember this (I was only 16 and 19 and I am not 62). After they do this, you must stay in bed (hospital for me) and be sure not to move. The worst part of it for me was that my back began to ache without any movement! By the way, my kidney was being hurt by the Lupus. I continued normal life until age 42. I then got a kidney transplant. and now I continue to live normal life !! Don't fear....you are in God's hands always.

Thanks

Wow! Thank-you for the clarification of the ANA vs dsDNA! I recently got test results showing both! The ANA was 116 which I thought was really high since my last one was 11, and my dsDNA was negative which I thought was great! I have had Lupus for 48 years and I have had a kidney transplant (20 years now). I have been so worried since I found out about the ANA....do you know if that number is very high. My doctor never even contacted me about the results so that better be an ok number or I should look for another doctor!