Thread: Good New

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Good New

Got the results from the neurologist yesterday. They actually have an effective test for Parkinson's now; so accordingly I do not have Parkinson's like Michael J Fox. Neuro's words. The symptoms in my left hand, tremors, spasms and dropping things is due to carpal tunnel. The neuropathy and other spasms are probably Lupus related. Which is in a period of non activity (remission). The AVM at the top of my head shows no activity - yeah!!! He told me the the have now developed non surgical procedures to correct it.

Well, all in all this is good.
    I used to be on
    Tizanadine now replaced by Lyrica. Not too sure about this one but it covers several different symptoms so I'm taking it for now.
    Say adios to the mirapex - that was an expensive one. So that's 2 drugs replaced by one. The rest are all lifetime drugs.

If anyone has any thoughts on the Lyrica (pregabalin) please post them as this drug has only been around since 2004

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i am so glad your results were negative for parkinson's.

i cannot find the documents at the moment.
    i do not like lyrica .....
    it used to be used as a psychiatric drug
    and it was removed from the market.
    this was over 20 years ago.
    now they have renamed it and use it for pain medication.
    if it was banned as being harmful 20 years ago .... why risk it now.

i used to be on it, but my doctor showed me the research papers, and i stopped.

sorry i cannot find them now to back up my story.

i know quite a few people who use it ... and love it .... but not for me.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

I really liked the Lyrica for the neuropothy after the gabapantin did not work. What I did not like was the 20lb weight gain, it may not sound like a lot but I'm only 4'10" so I came off it. Hopefully you'll have better results.

Steve can you remember anything about why was it taken off the market 20 yrs ago?
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chikititalinda View Post
    .....Steve can you remember anything about why was it taken off the market 20 yrs ago?
    i just had a quick look on http://www.drugs.com/lyrica.html
    lyrica was used to treat seizures

Before taking Lyrica

You should not use Lyrica if you are allergic to pregabalin.
    To make sure you can safely take Lyrica, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:

• congestive heart failure;
    • diabetes (unless you are taking Lyrica to treat diabetic neuropathy);
    • kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
    • a bleeding disorder;
    • low levels of platelets in your blood;
    • a history of depression or suicidal thoughts;
    • a history of drug or alcohol addiction; or
    • if you have ever had a severe allergic reaction.

You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Tell your doctor if you have new or worsening depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several months of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed.

If you become pregnant, your name may be listed on a pregnancy registry. This is to track the outcome of the pregnancy and to evaluate any effects of Lyrica on the baby.
    If a man fathers a child while using this medication, the baby may have birth defects. Use a condom to prevent pregnancy during your treatment.
    It is not known whether pregabalin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using Lyrica. Do not give this medication to a child younger than 18 years old.

Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of Lyrica.

Cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for depression or anxiety can add to dizziness or sleepiness caused by Lyrica. Tell your doctor if you regularly use any of these medicines, or any other seizure medication.
    Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:

• rosiglitazone (Avandia, Avandamet, Avandaryl); or
    • heart or blood pressure medication such as benazepril (Lotensin), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), and others.

When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (11-15-2013), Nonna (11-15-2013)

Thanks

No Parkinsons must have been the best news you have ever gotten.
    I am very happy for you.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

That's great news! So glad you don't have Parkinson's. I take Lyrica and have had no evil side effects. I was on Gabapentin, but when the dose would wear off, the neuropathy pain was immediate and severe. The Lyrica seems to "stay" longer. I still have some breakthrough pain but nothing like I was. I'm just glad there are various meds because they seem to work differently for different people. Best wishes on finding the right combination for you.