Thread: Celcept, positives...

Thanks

Default Celcept, positives...

Hi peeps

I'm considering celcept. Mostly my problems are niggly, so it's a choice rather a must.

Just wondering if there are any good success stories with it. I don't want to feel sick! The doc says its well tolerated.....

I'd like some positive feedback?

Jx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have not used Cellcept myself and hopefully, someone who has will respond to you. In the meantime, here is some information about the drug that I hope will help you to make a decision.
    Cellcept ( brand name for mycophenolate)is used in patients with lupus nephritis or kidney failure as well as other severe forms of lupus. Cellcept works to inhibit T and B cell functions. These lymphocytes cells are the most abundant in the blood stream. They are part of the of the white blood cell system. B cells are found in bone marrow while T cells begin in the marrow and migrate to the thymus.
    The most common side effects associated with CellCept are gastrointestinal, such as gas, upset stomach, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, which usually disappear over time.
    Other Side Effects include: dizziness, drowsiness, headache, increased perspiration, insomnia, rash and tremors, which also tend to dissipate with continued use of the drug.
    CellCept decreases the number of white blood cells, which increases the chances of infection; other blood-related side effects are less common. A decrease in red blood cells can result in anemia, while a decrease in platelets that help in clotting can result in unusual bruising or gastrointestinal bleeding.
    CellCept also may increase the risk of developing lymphoma, or cancer of the lymphatic system.
    You should know that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning in 2008 about a possible link between CellCept and progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, a nerve-damaging and often fatal brain disease.
    I hope that this has been helpful. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need further information.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I have been on Cellcept for a few months, started on 500mg twice daily alongside MTX injections, now I am on 500mg three times daily and have weaned off MTX. Sadly the two worked well together but I struggled to inject as I still had nausea but I lost a day and gained 6 but I couldnt stay on both.

The Cellcept has been fabulous and the only side effect I have is tiredness but not as bad as it was on the MTX. You cant have milk/dairy produce at the same time as your pills. I am still over active in my immune system and am needing big doses to suppress it.

One thing I will say is that Cellcept is a powerful drug and I know my Rheumy saved it for severe symptoms. The niggly ones I had to put up with and your doctor may feel the same. I have to have yearly PAP tests as it increases the risk of cervical cancer and like the MTX, regular blood tests.

Weigh it up, if you can live with the niggles then I would hold off until you need it as it does come with risks (like many drugs). But for me, it has been fantastic.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corella For This Useful Post:

steve.b (11-11-2013)

Thanks

I've been on Cellcept,at first I had bad nausea,but it went away. I can't take Plaquenal. I am currently on both, Cellcept and Benlysta, I feel better than I ever have since being diagnosed.

Thanks

I have been taking 3000 mg of cellcept a day for the past few months with no side effects and overall feel better.
    For quite a while I had resisted taking higher doses of seemingly more potent meds.
    I felt that none of my individual symptoms were that bad to justify the added risks.
    I felt that dealing with the pain was better than risking the side effects.

What my ruhemy and pcp explained was that lupus could be active and causing damage with out me noticing a big change in my symptoms
    or having intense symptoms. That is why the lab work is an important part of our care.
    In my case I regularly have a much elevated ds-dna level which the cellcept has helped to stabilize.