Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any House Cleaning Tips?

Thanks

Default Any House Cleaning Tips?

If you are like me, I have no energy. Therefore, my house does not get clean, my husband disabled too. No family to help, because they either have their own health issues, long work hours, etc. I can't afford to hire someone to help. I am actually getting desperate about my dirty and very cluttered house. I don't even have anyone visit due to this, and that is not me. I love having people over, or at least I did in the past. Could anyone who will post tips here that can help? If I could ever get my house clean once I think I could manage after that, but it is going to take me slowly getting it back. Tell me there is hope.

THanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,074 Posts

one step at a time ........

for me that means vacuum only 1 room, then have a break
    i also purchased a steam mop, as it is easier to use than a conventional mop

also do not be afraid to ask for help.
    you would be surprised how many friends would turn up for a "CLEANING PARTY"
    we ran one for an elderly relation before. people came out of the woodwork to offer help, and bring food also.

just think outside of the square, and do not be ashamed of a physical condition.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The way I used to do it was like Steve, one room per day. Then I would watch a TV program and get up and clean only during the commercials. That worked good too.

Good thoughts and hugs

Thanks

with me I find the beginning of the day is when I am most energetic I do what I can then. but I have learned to pace myself I will do a bit then sit for awhile . then resume. just do it in intervals. and I used to find it hard to ask for help but this disease makes us realize we need to compromise a bit. I am with a program here in Australia called home assist and they will come and will help me . do big clean twice a year and only charge 20 dollars for 2 hours work. also they help with any jobs like changing light bulbs and they put new shower head in for me. I do not know if they have anything in America. like this I get it through disability services.

Thanks

I always find I have more energy for things I'm excited about... Trust me - I am never excited about cleaning... A friend with MS & I figured out we can get things done as long as we're distracted by something positive. So we call each other & visit over the phone. We put it on speaker or use the headphones and we both clean and talk. They are very productive "visits" for us both. Mind you I'm not cleaning my whole house, but if I can do one room a week the house stays fairly acceptable. (This doesn't work all the time, but on days I'm feeling pretty good, there's a better chance.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I love and agree with everyone's tips! In my case, it is all about simplifying my life. Ok, especially my HUSBAND'S life. The man is what one may call a "pack rat". He has multiples of almost everything he owns and he likes having EVERYTHING in plain sight. So... I being raised by a hoarder has turned into a minimalist. He, being raised by a minimalist, has turned into a hoarder. Miminalism will prevail as it is soooo much easier to clean and keep clean a house that isn't filled with clutter. Counters can be wiped down in no time when they aren't covered with stuff. This is all my personal preference mind you. To each their own. I've just found that the less stuff I have, the easier it is to keep it all clean. Now to get my husband on board with that...
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Abbyrition (11-14-2013)

Thanks

I'm also a CoH child of hoarding. I can't do minimalism, and I have hoarding tendencies. My wonderful minimalist OCD partner keeps me in line most of the time. And it certainly does make things easier to clean, you know, not hoarding, lol.

Thanks

I enjoyed reading all of your posts. I want to get rid of a lot of stuff. I want to do with less too for the sake of cleaning easier. The only stuff I don't want rid of is my sewing/quilting things. I began sewing/quilting, but just a beginner after retiring early. It keeps me sane though. lol.... My husband is more of a computer electronic type. He won't get rid of a wire etc. So we are having to come to terms with both of our styles. We had our hot water heater go out, and have to get another. He is going to try to put it in, but has never done it. I needed so so badly to attempt to slowly paint our front porch. It is way past needing painting or we will have it go bad on us. I use to love to paint, but now it's a chore that will really try me, but now with the temperatures cold, I don't know if it is to late to paint a porch. I go later today to my pulmonologist. It's more of a follow up since my first visit with him. Hope all of you are doing ok. I hope we can keep these tips going about what helps us keep our house, and other things we have to deal with that has to be done.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,074 Posts

i used to enjoy keeping things ..... not a hoarder.
    but with the many many moves i have had in my life, i realised .....
    some things just don't get used.

if you have not used it in a year ...... do you really need it.
    have a garage sale ...... and spoil yourself with the profits.

we taught our children the same idea, they bring out so many things every garage sale .....
    just so they can spend the money.

just an idea to consider.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hoard books and movies. Now that I'm down here with my parents there is no room for me so I now go electronic with my ipad. But with other things I agree with Steve. I even got rid of some of my books on Amazon. As they were first editions I actually got 4 times what I paid. So sometimes hoard pays