Thread: I'm curious...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default I'm curious...

Okay, I know my doctors have told me to avoid caffeine, but as a senior in college, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to avoid it, especially when you have the fatigue that I do.

What exactly does caffeine do to us lupies? Also, do any of you have any better alternatives to help me stay alert?

Thanks a bunch!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Maybe drink less caffeine?
    My medications made changed my taste buds around and so i hate the taste of any sodas. I know sodas are loaded with sodium and super bad for your health. My last doctor was a jerk and never believed i never drank anything but water and she kept telling me it was bad for my kidneys and heart. I'm not sure what coffee exactly does but i stay away from it all. It never helped with my fatigue anyway. Vitamin B12 helps me, but ask your doctor about that because you don't want to just start stuff without knowing if there if it could affect your other medications.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

from my understanding .... and this is not from doctors.

the main problem with caffeine is that it is a quick hit and then a low.
    the problem is with the caffeine, not the coffee.
    energy drinks also have the same problem, often worse.

the quick hit causes the body and mind to go into overdrive.
    but the overdrive also causes the downside to be more dramatic.

there is no scientific evidence ...... but lots of studies into the link between energy drinks and bad behaviour (explosive episodes and rage)
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

What steve.b says makes sense. I find with my lupus there is a cost with any activity. So it makes sense to me that if I were altering what my body requires (sleep or rest), then I would need additional downtime, or rest & that can throw off my schedule and cause havoc.

Caffine has never affected me so I suppose I'm lucky I never "used" coffee or soda. I do tend to drink soda and then have to "quit" it and get the nasty withdrawl headache... (Going through that now.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm addicted to diet coke and have been trying to tapper off for years. I also love my tea. The caffeine helps with my migraines, so I see the good and bad.

Still trying to find the balance