Thread: Lupus and back pain? (and steroid injections?)

Thanks

Default Lupus and back pain? (and steroid injections?)

Hello all,
    I have for about the last two weeks been having VERY bad back pain, like the kind where I am only getting about 3 hours of sleep a night and break down and cry because the pain is so bad...so I called my rheumy and asked him for a different medication, as Naproxen did absolutely NOTHING for it, and he said he wanted me to come in and get a steroid injectection, which I'll be honest, TERRIFIED me, so i chickened out...Have any of you received similar injections?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Sorry you are in such pain. I will admit to being like you when I first became ill but now steroid shots are my friend more then they should be. They really don't hurt that bad (especially compared to what you are most likely feeling now)
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

having a steroid injection at the site of back pain ...... is a common way to mask the pain ... so you can get on with life.

it is not usually meant to be a cure, just a mask.

i have had to have several, over my life time so far.
    and also know of many others who have also had this done.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

I sorry you're experiencing so much pain, but as Steve and Mari have said, the steroid injections may prove valuable in helping with pain management.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
    Hello all,
    I have for about the last two weeks been having VERY bad back pain, like the kind where I am only getting about 3 hours of sleep a night and break down and cry because the pain is so bad...so I called my rheumy and asked him for a different medication, as Naproxen did absolutely NOTHING for it, and he said he wanted me to come in and get a steroid injectection, which I'll be honest, TERRIFIED me, so i chickened out...Have any of you received similar injections?
    Hi Tiffany,

I have had a steroid shot for my back pain and it did not work. When I have back pain, I take Mobic, which helps a little. Now, if I take oral steroids, it does take away my back pain.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The one that scared the mess out of me was the one that went into my temple. Honestly it wasn't too bad but seeing it coming made me want to run
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Tiffany,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I would RUN, not walk to an experienced Dr. who gives ESIs (Epidural Steroidal Injections) if I were in your situation. I have had 7 ESIs over the years and the pain relief is heaven-sent. The pain of receiving an ESI is very very minor compared to what you've described. The injection takes about 20 seconds. What is your greatest fear about doing this? Maybe if you tell us specifically what is stopping you, we could help you more.

Sue