Thread: Does anyone experience hair pulling out? Feeling really upset about this

Thanks

Default Does anyone experience hair pulling out? Feeling really upset about this

Maybe it's unrelated to my diagnosis of lupus but for the past year or two, I have begun plucking my own eyebrow hairs and sometimes my eyelashes. They do not fall out much on their own, as many of you experience, but I get this compulsion to pull them out. It's as if they feel sore, so I pull them out to better it. Though, they probably feel sore as a result of them being plucked in the first place- I don't know.

What I do know is that it is making me feel very self conscious, especially because I potentially can control it with more discipline. It's just awful because I don't realize I'm doing it half the time. I have been coloring in my eyebrows everyday and hate to be seen without the cover up, and it's still noticeable up close.

I was just wondering if anyone else had these episodes or condition. I believe the mental condition is called trichotillomania. I know my lupus largely affects my central nervous system, do you think it could be related? I don't take any prescription medications apart from medical marijuana (which does seem to keep the compulsions at bay). I just am starting to feel so unappealing and it makes me depressed.

Thank you for your time!

Thanks

Hi Bunny,

Welcome to WHL.
    I am sorry that you are going through this. I think you should see your doctor about your issue, he will know what to do.
    May I ask you, how the medical marijuana helps with your pain?
    Please see your doctor.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to our family.

I agree you need to talk to your doctor. While it doesn't always happen Lupus can affect the chemicals in our brain just as it does our body. Sometimes adjustments and/or meds have to be taken to fix issued caused there as well. Also, as you stated, other things happen that are not caused by the Lupus itself. It doesn't mean they don't need to be looked into.

please let us know what the doctor says after you talk to them
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (10-25-2013)

Thanks

Thank you for your replies. I plan to see my doctor soon; I'm hoping within the next few weeks. It's difficult as he is located an hour and a half away. Money is tight right now and I don't have a reliable vehicle. I am to have a dentist appointment first because I've been having a lot of problems with my jaw joints, making eating near impossible. Hoping it's my wisdom teeth causing the issue.

Debbie- the marijuana helps with the pain a lot. I don't believe in prescription drugs unless it's an absolute necessary. It helps with a lot of my issues, mostly helping me eat. I have lost over 20 lbs in the last four months due to my lack of appetite and nausea after eating a meal. Cannabis allows me to have an appetite while not making me feel sick after eating, which is great as I'm on the verge of having an underweight BMI. It also suppresses my seizures and, of course, helps with the depression. Honestly, there are some days I wouldn't be able to get out of bed unless I was "high". The thing about marijuana though is that there are two major strains, sativa and indica. Sativa is high in THC, which is what makes you get that high feeling. Indica is high in CBDs, which are anti-inflammatories. That strain relieves pains and has much leading research in actually helping the immune system as we have CBD receptors throughout our body. And, if it's low enough in THC, you won't get that high feeling.
    I'm a strong advocate of medical marijuana and it's uses. If you'd like to know more,please ask. I can lead you to some research papers supporting its use.

Also, thank you both for welcoming to the forum. I have been diagnosed when I was 16, four years ago, but didn't think to outreach to others suffering with this confusing disease. It seems as I get older, it gets worse. I've been trying to go on with my life as if I don't have it, and well now it's getting to the point of starting to scare me for my future.

Bunny

Thanks

let me say that you have said something that scared me. If you are having seizures and not taking meds for it please do so. I say this from experience. Not taking meds to getting the seizures under control can do long term and irreversible damage to your brain. I say this not because I read it in a book somewhere but because it happened to me. Mine were left unchecked and I will mentally never be who I was before
    Last edited by tgal; 10-27-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Another issue...

After discussion with the powers that be, WHL must make something clear. Please read the following as it has been decided that the change of the canibus laws really don't affect our stance on the substance in the forum

While THC/Cannibis/Marijuana is legal in many states, it is not an approved treatment for Lupus or for auto-immune diseases. Its use is still a personal choice but it CANNOT be proposed as a remedy here on WHL and its discussion must remain limited. A member can mention that he/she uses it, but cannot ask other members about their use; cannot suggest its use to other members; cannot ask questions about its effectiveness etc. We strive very hard to maintain discussions about Western Medicine only because those have been PROVEN to help our disease. We never, in any way, want to cause anyone to become harmed by taking a path not proven to do just that.

Thank you,

Mari and the moderation staff
    Last edited by tgal; 10-28-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Another issue...

After discussion with the powers that be, WHL must make something clear. Please read the following as it has been decided that the change of the canibus laws really don't affect our stance on the substance in the forum

While THC/Cannibus/Marijuana is legal in many states, it is not an approved treatment for Lupus or for auto-immune diseases. Its use is still a personal choice but it CANNOT be proposed as a remedy here on WHL and its discussion must remain limited. A member can mention that he/she uses it, but cannot ask other members about their use; cannot suggest its use to other members; cannot ask questions about its effectiveness etc. We strive very hard to maintain discussions about Western Medicine only because those have been PROVEN to help our disease. We never, in any way, want to cause anyone to become harmed by taking a path not proven to do just that.

Thank you,

Mari and the moderation staff
    Hi Mari,

I am sorry.
    I didn't know, that I was not supposed to ask about IT. I thought since it was prescriped by a doctor, it would be the same as asking about MTX.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Debbie, No need for sorry. This is a new area and we are all learning (mods as well)

the post wasn't about your question just the topic in general. It was because, as mods, we knew the old rule and it was discussed yesterday if it had changed with the law changes.this post was letting all of you know what the answer was for future notice
    Last edited by tgal; 10-28-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i would like to make a comment about our illness that is often overlooked by many people including doctors .........

lupus is an auto immune disorder .
    this means that our immune system is in overdrive.
    to increase our immune system .... is to increase the effect lupus has on our body.
    any medication (whether herbal or chemical) (western or eastern), that causes a boost to our immune system actually does harm to lupus patients.

i am saying this so that you ask your doctor the right question.
    some medications work by boosting, others by blocking.

the part of our chemical make up that is effected is often is not what we take the medication for.

(what i mean is that many anti inflammitories work by boosting part of our system)
    (whilst others work by blocking a particular reaction from taking place)

if the part of our system that is being boosted is our immune system, then it may help 1 complaint .......
    but it is also making our lupus worse.

i have used inflammitories as an example.
    you need to ask questions about any medication or supplement we take.

i hope i am able to communicate this properly.
    i am also happy for someone else to rewrite my thoughts another way ...
    to make it easier to understand.

i am having trouble thinking clearly at the moment.
    and when i reread my post it "sort of" makes sense.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

Maybe because I have lupus. Rain. It it made sense to me!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~