Thread: New to Lupus

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default New to Lupus

I was diagnosed in February 2013, I had been feeling terrible with awful stomach pains, my family doctor was completely lost, he had me go through all kinds of tests, CT's, MRI's, and blood work on top of blood work. That's when I starting doing some research on my own, and I had almost all the symptoms for Lupus, so, I had him test my ANA, came back positive. So my family doctor said it was nothing to worry about, it was probably just wrong. Well since I am a nurse, I am aware that blood usually doesn't lie. So I went to a rheumotologist, he was able to concur that yes in fact I have lupus. I was started immediately on Plaquenil, was told to start eating a plant based diet, and get used to the idea. Well, I have never been able to get used to much when I know there is something wrong. But I don't know what I should be doing, what works, what doesn't? Help Please!

Thanks

Lucky for us the net has so much info,we can now inform ourselves,and that's where you should start. Good luck on this journey!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi shanna. Sorry you are having to deal with all of this. I will tell you that there is no proof, nor does the Lupus Assoc. suggest, wasting a plant based diet. If yours does I am NOT telling you to go against him but it would be considered natural/holistic treatments and that is the only thing not allowed to be discussed here.

For the health of all of our family members we only discuss proven, medical treatments in working with our disease.

I will tell you that it has been proven that we should not eat alphalfa sprouts and a big study came out post on Lupus.org questioning whether garlic is good to eat (although most here said they couldn't give it up lol).
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to our family. If, by plant based diet, your doctor is suggesting that you avoid too much red meat (or four-legged animals), then I agree with that. Many of us have had to restrict our intake of protein rich foods, such as red meats. I try to eat strictly fish and fowl.
    It is suggested that the best diet is the one recommended by the Heart Association. We are also told to avoid legumes, alfalfa sprouts, and many herbal medications. There is a sticky here that discusses diet options.
    However, if your doctor is suggesting a holistic approach to treating your Lupus, then I would suggest that you find another doctor. As Tgal mentioned, there are no holistic treatments that are proven to lessen symptoms, cause remission, or cure Lupus. There is no cure for this disease and only proven medical treatments can lessen symptoms if taken with the appropriate lifestyle changes.
    We are here to help you as much as we can. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Tgal, I wasn't suggesting for Jamie4122 to do or not to do anything holistic, I just wanted to encourage her to educate herself on Lupus. I myself know not to depend on diet alone as treatment.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Shanna I didn't think you were! I completely agree about learning as much as you can! I also see that my fingers and. Rain were not working well together which is somewhat common as I adjust to a new med (smile). I see I typed the wrong name in my post so please forgive me. I am so sorry if it came across like I was correcting you because that WAS NOT the case!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~