Short synopsis of myself: 36 yr old female (widow with 3 kids) presented with the facial rash (large, red, raised, itchy, burns in sunlight) and for 5 years, no one could tell me what it was. Did not look like mylar or butterfly rashes. About 4 years ago in 2009, after 2 biopsies at 2 different times - the results came back 2x as tumid lupus. That being said, ANA has always been negative and no other symptoms appeared. Treated with Prednisone (as needed) and Plaquenil for about 2 years - then I lost my job and my insurance. I also had no more rashes until this year. However, now I have the rash again and a number of other symptoms. I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week and I have been doing some more research into lupus symptoms. Now I am terrified. Granted I did all of this same research 4 yrs ago when I got the original dx, but obviously I had no other symptoms and it did not show in my blood work so I kinda blew it off. Low chances of it developing further was what I understood from my research. Conclusion: sunscreen and hats - OK, I figured that I could do that.

Now though in the past 12 months, I have had all of the neurological symptoms, but it never occurred to me to think lupus. I started having panic attacks at work, depression, RAGE issues, mental confusion/fog, cognitive dysfunction, etc. Also having the joint pain, extreme fatigue, swelling in legs/ankles, massive headaches, night sweats, stiffness/pain in neck (continuous for 8 mos), etc., etc., etc.! I know that there are others, but I forget. You guys already know. I will have blood work done Wednesday and then I guess I will know for sure, but my question is has anyone seen this type of situation develop into a full blown diagnosis before? From rash with no other symptoms, but definitely lupus to real deal lupus? That's what I always told people about the rash that it was lupus, but not "real lupus".

Anyway, thank you in advance for allowing me to introduce myself and pick your brains.

Thanks,
Melissa