Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JUDGE JUDY's IGNORANCE

Thanks

A person has to understand the whole context it was given in. The title of the interview was called
    “Judge Judy Sheindlin on taking personal responsibility.”
    It was about a list of people, disable for various reasons, mediocre people serving….which Lupus was included in that list. Regardless if her daughter has Lupus, she still is a victim of Judge Judy’s words…Those people are not taking responsibility for their lives and our government system is supporting that. You know the mediocre people that serve us, doles out money to people with Lupus because we are not taking responsibility for our incurable diseases.

Not taking responsibility example she provides in reference to having too many children unable to care for them, then lumps in people with addictions, disabilties:

But actually, if you are responsibly parenting you have only the number of children that you can afford to take care of. And when the government in effect says to you, you know what? You have them, we'll take care of them. And when the government says, in my view --and I know that this is going to sounds harsh and I'm going to get lots of mail, don't send me negative mail. I don't read it. I'm too old, but when I have cases, and I have had them for 30 years, of people who were receiving disability because they are either drug addicts, alcoholics, some have bad backs, some suffer from -- you know, I have carpal tunnel in my hands,I have lupus.* I think what we have done to a whole group of people is say, not to worry. If you can't take care of yourself, we'll take care of you."

*I took the daughter in law bit out because really it is irrelevant as we all know our flares come and go but nevertheless still debilitating to let the conversation flow as one..it read..
    "I have a daughter-in-law who has lupus. Sometimes she's tired, but most of the time she gets up and does what she has to do. Sometimes it's debilitating, sometimes not."

But in another way it is relevant because her as a Judge already has a preconceive notion on how she feels about Lupus...bias...and she would be making a decision based on that bias.

Then she provides another example of those who are not taking responsibility of their own lives..

“When I have a man, a perfectly capable able-bodied guy who has been going to college for seven years and getting $20,000 a year from the government, and the only thing he can do after seven years is play the guitar, I think somebody's got their hands on my pocket.”

She even said..... ''and I know that this is going to sounds harsh and I'm going to get lots of mail, don't send me negative mail. I don't read it. I'm too old.''
    Last edited by Oluwa; 10-19-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

rob (10-19-2013)

Thanks

Default Petition

Please sign. It is from a fellow Lupie..

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/hol...b&r_by=9270077

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (10-22-2013), chikititalinda (10-21-2013), rob (10-19-2013), tgal (10-19-2013)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I signed the petition, and forwarded it to my Mom who also has SLE.

Thanks Oluwa for bringing this to our attention, and for the link to sign the petition.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (10-19-2013), tgal (10-19-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

untill now, i have kept out of commenting on this subject.

we should not try to belittle anyone,
    2 wrongs do not make a right.

yes judge judy was wrong to have a bias,
    it stops her from being able to take the facts, as they present themselves.

the petition is a constructive way to address her ignorance .......
    SO PLEASE LOOK AT THE PETITION, and consider signing it.
    Last edited by steve.b; 10-20-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-21-2013), tgal (10-20-2013)

Thanks

Oct. 17, 2013
    Open Letter to Judge Judy

Over the last few days many of you have expressed your concern and outrage over Judge Judy’s recent remarks about lupus during her interview on Friday, Oct. 11 on Fox News with Megyn Kelly. We share your outrage and believe that her remarks were insensitive and minimized the impact and suffering of those living with disease. We have taken action and sent a letter to Judge Judy, from Sandra Raymond President and CEO of the Lupus Foundation of America, asking her to retract her remarks. We are following up with her office, and will keep you apprised of any developments. Below is a copy of the letter that was sent to her office.

Dear Judge Judy,

I am writing in response to your interview with Fox News on Friday October 11th with Megyn Kelly. I wanted to bring to your attention that we have been contacted by a number of individuals with lupus and their families who expressed concern that your statements regarding lupus were insensitive and minimized the impact and suffering of those living with disease.

Lupus is one of the cruelest and most mysterious diseases on earth-it can ravage virtually every organ system, and has no known cause and no known cure, and its symptoms can range from a skin rash to a heart attack. Lupus most often strikes young women in the prime of their lives. We hear stories every day of women who are no longer able to work or have families as a result of debilitating health consequences such as heart attacks, kidney disease, or seizures to name a few.

Nearly 73 percent of Americans ages, 18-34 have never heard of lupus, or know little or nothing about the disease. This contributes to a situation where the disease is often misunderstood. We hope and believe that public figures and celebrities, such as yourself, can be a positive force for increasing public understanding of the disease. Raising public awareness of lupus is critical to getting people diagnosed and treated earlier, and ultimately preventing long-term health consequences.

We hope that you will listen and consider the concerns of the millions of families affected by this disease as you speak about lupus in the future. We also know you have a personal connection to lupus and are here as a resource for you and your family. Please contact us if you have any questions, or would like to talk further about how we can work together to raise awareness of lupus.
    Thank you.

Sandra C. Raymond

President and CEO
    Last edited by rob; 10-20-2013 at 12:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (10-21-2013)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

A Reminder For All-

Do not bring disputes and/or complaints about other websites, or about individual members/staff of those sites, to WHL.

Also, there is a fine line between expressing one's dissatisfaction with a public figure or other individual's words and statements, and insulting and/or launching personal attacks against that person. As a person with SLE who is on disability, I fully understand the emotions about this issue, and I feel anger over this issue as we all do. I voiced my opinion on page 1 about what Judge Judy said, as well as my opinion of her apology. I see others have as well, and there is nothing wrong with voicing a strong opinion on another persons words or actions.

However, crossing the line from disagreeing with ones words and actions, to hurling personal insults against that person gets us absolutely nowhere, and can in fact have a detrimental effect upon our cause in this instance.

Please folks, lets keep this thread free of personal insults.

Thank You,

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 10-20-2013 at 10:14 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-21-2013), steve.b (10-20-2013), tgal (10-20-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Ok, I am making my first post on this thread now. I actually saw this before it was brought up here. I placed an open letter from someone with Lupus on the aforementioned social media site at the time. It was then given to me on that same place her explanation of what she meant and I privately went off because it wasn't enough for me either since I am one of the people she is talking about.

Having said that, I stayed out of the discussion here because it is too personal and I didn't know if I could discuss this withough my personal feelings (hurt, insult, anger) not coming through and I know this is not the place for it. While it is wonderful that we share information it is never a good thing to place our home in jeapardy or to be a part of helping raise the stress levels of our family members. We know that stress can make us more ill and we must all be careful to make sure our discussions stay at the level of discussions and not rise to the level of helping instigate negative emotions.

I signed the petition and was thankful for that bit of info. That is what WHL is about. Giving us a place to share information like this and to vent but let's all be careful, in a situation like this, that we are not putting our home ( WHL) or its family members in a place to get damaged.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

rob (10-20-2013), Saysusie (10-21-2013), steve.b (10-20-2013)

Thanks

I just today signed the petition, told a bit of my experience, wished her well, nothing directed toward her in any way, and that I feel blessed in that I am alive.