Thread: JUDGE JUDY's IGNORANCE

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default JUDGE JUDY's IGNORANCE

Regarding the recent Fox News Interview of Judge Judy touting her book..and I use the word judge loosely. I must stand up as an advocate for Lupus....

I am Oluwa and I have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Lupus is not a choice.

If we continued as an ignorant whole...as with her ignorance our mortality rate would still be death within 3-5 years after diagnoses.

Preventing death from lupus requires early detection and diagnosis, and appropriate medical care, so later diagnosis, problems in access to care, less effective treatments, and poorer compliance will not cause early death. Period!

I am embarrassed for the well known televised, opinionated reality TV judge... Judge Judy's ignorance. Who would have thought a woman in her position who served in a state government, has an unearned ''status'' in our social society through media would be so ignorant to make a blanketed statement about those who suffer with Lupus. Lumping those who suffer in the same category as drug addicts, individuals with carpal tunnel and etc who take advantage of our government disability assistance programs. Lupus is not a choice.

Her ignorance, her reaction to her duaghter in law having Lupus must be a terrible hardship emotionally and spiritually on her daughter in law. To know your mother in law thinks you are fine. The common phase Lupus suffers hear is " But you don't look sick." I hope her daughter in law gets the emotional support, to be uplifted and etc from other members of her family and friends because surely she is not getting it from this mother in law. Her daughter in law needs to leave a pamphlet next to Judge Judy's gavel before she judges anyone with SLE.

Ignorance regarding Lupus causes people to die every year. Heart attacks, kidney failure, strokes, doctors ignorance for non early detection so we don't become a statistic, Judge Judy's ignorance to gaff if off as if it was the common cold, be stoic, press through it and etc. Public ignorance, public pressure causes people to be afraid to speak up about their symptoms which causes people to die when there is medical technology to manage it.

You need to take personal responsibility in your ignorance. And your judgement by me is to make people aware of the devastating effects Lupus has on people who are inflicted with such a cruel disease. You words can unravel how far the Lupus Organization has come to make people aware of the disease or spread awareness...please do the latter.

We are devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world’s cruelest, most unpredictable, and devastating diseases and we don't need obstacles like you in our way.
    Last edited by Oluwa; 10-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

heather123 (12-01-2013), ruziska (10-18-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well said Oluwa! Well said! I doubt there is one person with lupus who has never been on the receiving end of "but you don't look sick". It is unfortunately safe to say that all of us at one time or another been subjected to ignorance, rudeness and condenscencion. Even working in an office for independent living, my own boss and coworkers have treated me with rudeness and hurtful comments. They have no idea how much effort it takes every morning and how much makeup I use to look "normal". I even went so far as for a week to not put a lot of effort into my appearance and golly gee whiz, I actually "looked sick" and was finally ALMOST taken seriously. I took a four day weekend this past weekend to deal with some personal issues. During that time, I flared more than usual so when I came back to work on Wednesday, I was in a great deal of pain and had to use crutches. How did my coworkers respond? By assuming I "did something" over the weekend. Yeah, I got out of bed- WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Judge Judy opened her mouth before engaging her brain. That happens a lot. I hope she doesn't seriously believe what she said and truly goofed up which in that case, she needs to make a public statement saying so. If she does believe herself then I hope her daughter in law educates her.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

heather123 (12-01-2013), Oluwa (10-18-2013)

Thanks

I don't watch her show but know who she is and I have seen news stories/clips/commercials. Nothing I have seen leads me to believe she's anything other than a Kardashian in a long black robe: i.e., an attention-seeking hack. So I accord her opinion about the same weight I would any other reality-show buffoon. And I won't give her any more attention than she deserves - which is none.

But yeah - it's rude and frustrating.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

heather123 (12-01-2013), Oluwa (10-18-2013)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

What did she say?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (10-18-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to love her show and was watching it today but 10 minutes in I remembered what she said got disgusted and ended up switched channels. People like her are the reason lupus gets a bad reputation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (10-18-2013)

Thanks

In summary, in one sentence about people taking personal responsibility. Not exact but pretty close..."people who are drug addicts, have carpal tunnel..er, ah... LUPUS work the system to get disability."

Her or someone from her staff posted this today:
    Some of you have been commenting on statements I made when I appeared on The Kelly File last week. I'd like to address the issue now because it seems as if my comments may have been misunderstood.

I have a daughter who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and a daughter-in-law of 25 years who was diagnosed with Lupus, 27 years ago.

Both of these are autoimmune diseases. I am totally familiar with the course of both and the different ways they affect different people. Both of these women have good days and bad ones and both have worked and raised three children. Neither of them has ever sought disability.

In my comments on The Kelly File I was referring to people who use the diagnosis of that disease or any other disease as an excuse not to work even if they are able to work.

I apologize if my comments were perceived differently. I hope this explanation suffices.

Judge Judy Sheindlin

I say, no, Judy it does not SUFFICE!
    Last edited by rob; 10-20-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (10-21-2013), heather123 (12-01-2013)