Thread: Newly Diagnosed with lots of questions? Fertility

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Newly Diagnosed with lots of questions? Fertility

Hello, I am Jay, a 28 yr old male who has been recently diagnosed with SLE Nephriits. It has been a whirlwind past 7 months as I have seen 4 different doctors trying to figure out what has been keeping me down. Finally in Sept, I saw a Rheumatologist who took one look at me and easily diagnosed me. After the kidney biopsy, they realized the Lupus has already started affecting my kidneys and have put me on the prednisone/ cytoxan treatment for up to 6 months. Im starting the 4th week of the chemo and so far so good. With it coupled with the prednisone, these last 2 weeks have truly been my best to date since I started having problems. Also with being recently married, my wife and I are trying to conceive but to no avail yet. I know there is a slight risk of damage to my testes due to the cytoxan but from what ive gatherered so far is that the chemo is such a low dose that it could/ could not affect fertility. By being on doses of 40 mg/ day prednisone for over 2 months cause fertility problems? THis is our main concern right now, beside getting me back healthy. Also, even though Im fresh on the chemo, how long will it take to see signs and symptons of being on the chemo? (Hair loss, fatigue etc.) Ive decided to hit this nasty disease head on and not look back. Im open to trying/ suggesting anything to my doctors to get me fixed. Thanks again for the support of this website!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to our family.
    Prednisone can affect fertility as it has been known to reduce sperm count. Methotrexate can also reduce sperm count. I dont know how long you have to be on these drugs for them to affect sperm count or what dosage would affect the count. Speak with your urologist to get more definitive answers. I wish you the best and hope that you have a healthy and happy baby.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (10-12-2013)

Thanks

Hi jay,

I don't know about your chemo, but mine was the big procedure where you go to the hospital and sit in a big comfy chair while they pump you full of toxin!!! Lol. I was usually fine the day of (just ghost white), and then the pukes started the next day. I didn't lose my hair... Not even patches. Just the head in toilet nausea thing for a day and that was every 2 weeks. My kidneys ended up with scarring and I was left with stage 3 ckd (chronic kidney disease). It has been managed for the past 20 years with blood pressure meds and a diuretic (basically). The disease has caused other stuff as well, but that's my lupus kidney story (glomerulonephritis).

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!

Heather

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL. We are glad to have you in our family.

There is a risk of infertility with long term use of cytoxin HOWEVER it is usually found at the higher doses used for cancer not the lower doses used for kidney/Lupus issues. While there is still some risk it is not as high as those taking the large doses. Most things say "not enough studies give sufficient data" about our use although they assume it is there but to some degree. Several places I looked did suggest sperm banking simply because of the length of time it has to be used.

Hope this helps

http://renalfellow.blogspot.com/2009...tility-in.html
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Jay, I also forgot to tell you that I had a baby at 23 with all of my problems.... So things worked out well in that regard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heather123 For This Useful Post:

tgal (10-12-2013)