Thread: Difference in Steroids.....clarification please?

Thanks

Default Difference in Steroids.....clarification please?

On a telephone conversation with my rheumy, I understood that she was calling in Prednisone for me (I have taken it in the past for rash flares and was given it as follows: 40mg for 4 days, 30 mg for 4 days, 20 mgs for 4 days and 10mgs for 4 days - so after 16 days, I am off the meds). Usually by then, it has cleared up and I'm feeling much better. When I got to the pharmacy, I see that she called in a methylprednisolone 4mg dose pack. I recognize the medication because one of the urgent care doctors gave me one earlier in the year for either a sinus infection or bronchitis - not sure which now, repeated respiratory illnesses have been a year long issue for me this year. I have never used this steroid to help with Lupus symptoms. The Prednisone makes me energized, hyper, irritable, HUNGRY, and I can accomplish more in those 16 days than I do in 365 other days. The other dose pack, I remember being very irritable and agitated, super shaky and again hyper. Honestly, both of them tend to make me act like a lunatic emotionally - read "witchy".

I am hoping that someone can maybe explain the difference between the two. Is one better than the other for the body? Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

BTW - also started the Plaquenil yesterday (400 mg) -- how long does that take to really kick in? From what I've read on the site, weeks or months?

Thanks,
    Melissa

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi there,

The answer to your questions about the steroids is not really an easy one. They do come out of the same family although the methpredesone tends to be more potentent that is why you are taking it at lower doses. In situations like this it is usually a Dr's preference. If you have found you have a worse reaction to one than the other you might want to keep that in mind to tell the doctors next time.

As for the plaquenil... It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to begin working full strength in your body. It is one of those drugs that works so slowly you often don't realize it is helping until much later when you see that you haven't had a rash in xyz amount of time or something like it. You do have to be patient with it.

I hope that this helped answer your questions. If not please feel free to ask for clarification
    Last edited by tgal; 11-02-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Edited because my fingers and brain don't work
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Ivory (11-02-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for your answer. Yes, that makes sense to me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory For This Useful Post:

tgal (11-02-2013)