Thread: Falls

Thanks

Default Falls

Hi,

Just wondering if falls are common for people with lupus? I just got the lupus diagnosis today, but during the past couple years (when I guess it was starting) I have fallen in my sleep while walking to the washroom about four times. Does anybody have any solutions for falling at night? Is falling while half asleep common in people with Lupus? Or have I suddenly become very clumsy?!Also, after researching lupus all day, it looks like bruising very easily is a common symptom?
    Last edited by tgal; 09-29-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I fall and stumble a lot, I wonder why a lot of us have this problem? I'm actually surprised no one has stopped me from driving because I look like a drunk when I walk.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I fall ALL the time. I also bump into things all the time.

As for the bruising, one of the most important things to remember is that the outward things happening are simply signs of the internal damage being done. I hate meds. I never took them before this and for awhile after I was sporadic. I am now paying the price. I know the side effects of meds look bad but keep in mind that what the disease is doing internally is worse. Unless you get it under control falling and bruising could be the least of your worries. If you do get it under control you may be one of the lucky ones that gets to a place of remission or at least get it down to a place where only maintenance meds are needed.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

lupus can effect any muscle. it is very common for muscles to become inflated with fluid.

your ears are full of muscles, these muscles effect your balance.
    it is my belief that inflamed muscles are the most common reason for lupus sufferers having tinnitus, (ringing in ears),.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Falling is the norm for me too. I have a collection of canes and crutches to help with my lack of stability. As far as stumbling on the way to the washroom at night is concerned, I have the path from my bed to the bathroom set up so that I have things to hold on to on the way. Helps tremendously.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one but I'm sorry for those as well. When I fall I break something! Thanks osteoporosis so I have had to slow down & calculate each step ...but at night I'm like a drunk bouncing off walls staggering to the bathroom..my side if the bed has to be the closest uncomplicated path as is possible where ever I go. 15 broken bones are more than enough! When my Mama falls it looks almost graceful & she gets up unscathed at 71yrs. When I fall I take everything & everyone down with me when I go!