Thread: I am scared a bit!

Thanks

Smile I am scared a bit!

I have lupus, sjogren's, fibromyalgia, and some other issues. I am 60 as of May of this year. I have extreme fatigue everyday. There is not a day that I don't feel extremely tired, and not able to do much in my house, etc.

I went to a pulmonologist last week due to not getting full breaths of air. They did a chest x-ray, and many breathing tests. The Dr. said I have asthma, and my heart is enlarged. He set me up to see a Cardiologist for the 25th of Sept. to have an echo-cardiogram. When the lady called the heart doctor she told them about the enlarged heart, and that it's also written I have pulmonary hypertension.

The pulmonary hypertension is what scares me. I read some about it, and it sounds very serious. Some die from it within a couple of years. If that is the way it is, I will deal with it, but though scary, just wish someone could give me more info on it.

Thanks Everyone, and prayers for all of you.
    Elaine1

Thanks

Hi Elaine. Although I haven't been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, I have had heart symptoms (pleurisy, palpitations, pericarditis) since being diagnosed with SLE. I don't have any advice to give but just wanted to say hi and hang in there.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus" ...Fortune Favors the Brave.
    ~ Diagnosed SLE Lupus, Endometriosis, Anxiety Disorder, IBS~
    Meds: 400mg Plaquenil, Prednisone 6-day pack (for flares), 800mg Ibuprofen 3x day, Xanex (rarely), Vicodin (rarely)
    Supplements: Omega 3/6/9 complex, 2000iu Vit D, Iron/B12, Calcium, Folate complex, Cranberry, Probiotic, MSM/Glucosamine.

Thanks

Thank you deannegirl, I am sorry you have to deal with all of your heart issues. You certainly are in my prayers for better health.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

hi Elaine, yes there is a strong possibility that lupus can cause pulmonary hypertension, but there is also some other problems that can be misdiagnosed as pulmonary hypertension. I have problems with inflammation. any muscle can be inflamed by any of your listed ailments. both lupus and fibro cause inflammation, but there method of this inflammation are opposites. lupus causes inflammation with fluid, where fibro causes inflammation without fluids. so the treatments are different for each. both of these can cause the symptoms similar to pulmonary hypertension. inflammation causes the walls of the lungs and heart to enlarge. this inturn creates pressure onto the lungs from other muscles and the ribcage. this makes taking a deep breath painful. please do not over stress what may / may not be wrong with your lungs and heart until you have had more testing. I know it is easier said than done ...... but please try not to over worry. what is cannot be changed, and worry is not good for us, it helps bring on a lupus flare. 1 week is not a long time to wait for tests, so please use the time to try to relax and pamper yourself. please keep us informed as to what does come out of the tests, but please relax until then.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (09-20-2013), tgal (09-17-2013)

Thanks

Thank you for your encouragement. I am trying to hang in there, and not think the worst until I know more. I will be going next Wednesday. Not too long. I will let you know what I find out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elaine1 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (09-19-2013)

Thanks

I go for my echo cardiogram today, so please say a prayer for me.
    Thank you.