Thread: Has anyone taken Imuran?

Thanks

Question Has anyone taken Imuran?

Hi all. I have been having a rough couple months lately. This flare is just hanging on. Just saw the rheumatologist this week and she wants me to try a low dose (50mg) of Imuran. I am also taking methylpredisolone and plaquenil. I take a lot of other medication but thats what I take for the lupus. Has anyone else tried this? I'm always scared to try a new med especially when it has a lot of warnings.

Thanks

I was on it for several months- I had no side effects from it but it didn't help either so I moved on to mycophenolate.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

one thing to remember when reading warning labels ...... during the trial, if 1 person had a problem, any problem, even if it may not have been related to the medication. it has to be listed. therefore is 1 patient on a trial for a heart medication has a sore toe, it is listed. so some of the problems that are listed may or may not be related to the medication. everything is listed just in case. it is an overkill..... but the medicine companies want to keep themselves safe from prosecution so they go over the top.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (12-14-2013)

Thanks

I had the same experience as n.mac. After taking Imuran for several months (maybe even a year?), Rheumy took me off as I didn't see a benefit.

Thanks

Ive been on it for a couple of years I'm actually not sure if it's helping or not, my rheumy wants to be safe so she wants to keep me on it. So I just take it. I feel like a damn walking pharmacy lol
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chikititalinda View Post
    I feel like a damn walking pharmacy lol
    I hear ya, woman!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (12-13-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I actually just started it two days ago so hoping it works for me. I hate how long you have to wait for some of these medicines to work. This is actually the worse flare i have ever had and I just can't seem to beat it this time. I feel like I'm losing a little of the fight in me. Its hard always trying to be tough but I know we all do it..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've taking imuran before. I had to come off it because it lowered my white blood cell count ..

Thanks

I don't know if you are still following on this site but yes, I have taken Imuran for quite some time now (20 years.) It immediately made my gums puffy. My dentist noticed it right away. On the higher dosage I was taking, I believe that it lowered my blood cell count...but when my dosage became lower, the blood count went into the low normal range. I did NOT get any of the skin cancers that people have told me about. Hope that helps. I'm still on the Imuran 25mg daily.

Thanks

Don't EVER give up!! I am a Lupus veteran of 48 years and I have had many flares. They are not easy, but you can and will overcome. The many flares eventually (after 28 years) ruined my kidney. But then I had a transplant! I have that for 20 years. So hang in there friend! Life will go on and you will overcome.