Thread: lupus and dental implants

Thanks

Default lupus and dental implants

last week when i visited my dentist with an OPG, he told me that most my teeth were showing excessive bone loss so i should go for dental implants but only after my rheumi gives a green signal. My doc says implants are usually safe but coz i have lupus, the chances of rejection increase and my body may or may not accept implants. This has left me completely confused. Implants are pretty expensive and not covered by my medical insurance. Even if i am able to arrange for the finances somehow and go for it, suppose it leads to further complications coz of sle...On the other hand, i am horrified at the thought of wearing dentures a few years from now ( i am only 35)...help..... can anybody suggest wht i shd do?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I would suggest that you have some blood work done and a physical to see what, exactly, is going on with your Lupus before you decide on implants. You may have some problems as they may not integrate. Also, if you are taking Immunosuppressive medications such as cyclophosphamide or
    methotrexate, these drugs may result in opportunistic bacterial infection which could compromise periodontaly involved teeth or any dental
    implants. Steroids such as prednisone might result in oral fungal infections such as candidiasis.
    The success or failure of an implant relies on a number of factors, including the quality of your overall health. The success rate for implants decreases in patients that suffer from chronic problems, such as tooth grinding and clenching or systemic diseases, such as Lupus.

Discuss this thoroughly with your doctor and your dentist to weigh all of your options and be aware of all of the risks.

Best of Luck
    Saysusie