Thread: Centers for Independent Living

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Centers for Independent Living

This is NOT an advertisement! I'm not looking to drum up business, this is purely for informational purposes only.

If you live in the states, may I suggest checking out your local centers for independent living (CIL) they have them in every state. To find one closest to you, go to www.ilru.org They can, free of charge, help with such issues as filing for SSI/SSDI, appealing and SSDI denial, answer questions about working and keeping your SSDI, they offer peer support, help finding housing, ADA compliance issues, Living Well With A Disability classes and much more.

I started working for one as the Office Manager January of last year and before that, I never knew they existed, much less what they had to offer and the best part is that all of their services are FREE. Not sliding fee scale, but totally FREE regardless of your income.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Abbyrition (09-12-2013)

Thanks

That is info some people might need. Thanks for posting.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I contacted my local center. They were nice and advised me to start my disability claim. They did tell me they couldn't help me any further than that. I kind of thought they would help guide me along the process. I hope the other centers across the country help more then my local center does.

Creekbank

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What? They are supposed to walk you through the entire process! Lazy!! Shame on them, my gals wouldn't do that. Don't hesitate to contact them whenever you have a question. That's what they are there for
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

This is the resource I've been searching for!!! I will put it on my to do list to contact my local office! Thank you for sharing this!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ruziska,

I learned some valuable information from them on starting the process of applying, but she said that was all they could do. I appreciate the link to them. I was completely lost before I called them. I am just overwhelmed with all the things I need to get together for the application process now.

Again, thank you!

Creekbank