Thread: Can HIV cause a false positive Lupus blood test?

Thanks

Default Can HIV cause a false positive Lupus blood test?

A really good new male friend of mine was recently diagnosed with discoid Lupus rashes (which we thought were psoriasis). Further blood work came back that he showed antibodies for systemic Lupus. Both my friend, and I, are gay men living with HIV and I am wondering something. I've seen online that Lupus can cause a false positive for HIV. My question here is can HIV, in turn, cause a false positive result for Lupus?? He does have rashes on his back and shoulders but I've never seen a "tell-tale" butterfly rash anywhere on him.

PLEASE help me understand this! This is someone I care very deeply about and I want to know more so I can support him in whatever way I can!

Thanks, in advance!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

I am not a doctor, but to my understanding ..... HIV is your immune system being suppressed. lupus is your immune system in overdrive. I would definitely ask a lot more questions !!!!! many people with lupus do not have the butterfly rash. I have had lupus for over 30 years, and never had the butterfly rash.
    Last edited by steve.b; 09-17-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-18-2013)

Thanks

I agree with Steve but we could be wrong, they seem to be on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-18-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

There are several different types of Lupus. Discoid Lupus is a certain rash that comes on the skin but it is different than SLE that would have your friends entire immune system going like a rocket. although not a doctor I believe it would be very possible to have those two at the same time. Usually we say there is no test for Lupus but since this should be a biopsy of the skin that test would be accurate
    I am not a doctor and can't give you medical advice but a second opinion never hurt anyone. With his immune system being compromised already I would actually suggest it

Also... Welcome to WHL
    Last edited by tgal; 09-17-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Because I need new hands
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-18-2013)

Thanks

Thank You to everyone who replied to my query! I don't know where I would find a definitive answer from a medical doctor. Does anyone know if there is a website where you can actually ask a doctor? It's ironic because my father is a retired MD but he didn't have much involvement with what is known as autoimmune diseases! Now, in addition to my friend, my father is having to research autoimmune diseases as my brother has been living with sarcoidosis for a number of years.