Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flare???

Thanks

Default Flare???

For the past week I have been feeling horrible. My normal symptoms are joint pain. But lately the joints havenít been so bad. Just some pain here and there like my wrist and maybe a knee. The issue is I feel horrible. I am really out of it, fatigued, a bit dizzy, and nauseated and sometimes my chest and throat feel tight. Could I be going into a flare? I have never gone into a flare......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Koilover512 For This Useful Post:

PJNunn (06-17-2013)

Thanks

Well I've been diagnosed for about a year now and have had a few bad flares that put me in the hospital. Everyone's symptoms are different, but I notice bad fatigue (like the kind where I can't keep my eyes open no matter how much sleep I get) and my hair starts to fall out, also I'll get mouth sores, and bad joint pain,not controllable with pain meds. Wish you luck and I hope u bounce back fast!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post:

PJNunn (06-17-2013), Saysusie (05-08-2013), tgal (06-01-2013)

Thanks

Sorry to hear you are in a flare. I am in one as well at the moment. Never had one this bad before. Been 6 weeks so far. Really bad joint pain in all joints especially feet, ankles, knees and spine. It is so disheartening when your mobility goes. They say just rest, not always that simple. I hope you feel better soon. I have no real answer other than get advice from rheumy. Mine is 900 kilometres away makes it tricky. Rest and just hope it finishes soon. Big hugs to you.
    Keep smiling always.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iwish67 For This Useful Post:

PJNunn (06-17-2013)

Thanks

Hi
    Sorry to hear you're poorly (ok, so I know this is a Lupus forum...)
    Personally my flares make me feel like I have flu, raw skin is the biggest symptom, exhausted, achy etc. if I'm in the sun too long, my face stings and I feel dreadfully washed out. Hayfever seems to set me off. I've not been too bad this year, but it's England and the sun hasn't bothered to show up (works for me!!)
    Everyone is different.

Jx

Thanks

UPDATE: I went to doctor and she suggested that I start a two week regimen of prednisone. I have always hated the thought of going back on that horrible drug but if it will make me feel better then I’ll do it. The first couple of days of prednisone were pretty great. I was super awake. Prednisone = Crack lol. Once the two weeks were over I started taking the Mobic again. About a week and a half on the Mobic and my chest started hurting. I have had tightness before but never had pain. It hurt when I would breath. I went to emergent care. They took an EKG and a chest x-ray. Found nothing wrong and sent me home. Told me to call my rheumatologist in the morning. I called my doctor in the morning. She fit me in later that afternoon. She thinks I could have fluid build-up around my heart. She took me off the Mobic and started me on Indocin twice a day. I am also scheduled for a 2D echo on Monday. I am starting to feel better. I just hope that the new meds help. If they don’t I will be looking at more prednisone or stronger meds. Right now I am taking plaquenil and that is very mild compared to other meds.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Koilover512 For This Useful Post:

Polly (06-01-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The one thing I want to remind everyone is that what you feel Lupus doing is nothing compared to what is happening inside. I know the meds sounds scary, heck, are scary, but if you let your body continue to flare the Lupus can do much worse to you than the meds that could help stop it.

believe me, I don't like my meds. I sat for 3 hours this morning in an "I don't want to take you"argument against them (it happens on occasion especially when I am not feeling well, go figure). I took them though because I like the odds of the "possible" complications from the meds better than the "probable" complications from my Lupus
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Koilover512 (06-02-2013), n.mac (06-03-2013), Sammy (06-03-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    believe me, I don't like my meds. I sat for 3 hours this morning in an "I don't want to take you"argument against them (it happens on occasion especially when I am not feeling well, go figure). I took them though because I like the odds of the "possible" complications from the meds better than the "probable" complications from my Lupus
    I do that all time! Lol I put the pill line up on the counter in the morning and the thought crosses my mind....do I really need these? Hmmm lol and then my husband yells at me. He keeps me in line lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Koilover512 For This Useful Post:

tgal (06-07-2013)

Thanks

Mari,
    I'd kind of forgotten that what we see on the outside is nothing compared to what is going on inside. It's all so hidden. Makes me realise that when I am having a rough day, my body is struggling inside so I need to read the signs and take it easier, giving my body the chance to catch up.
    Fr me its about giving myself permission to rest...my usual urge is to fight against it and try to ignore it, tho I'm fixing that!

Have a nice day peeps!
    Jx

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaynie For This Useful Post:

Koilover512 (06-20-2013), tgal (06-07-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynie View Post
    Mari,
    I'd kind of forgotten that what we see on the outside is nothing compared to what is going on inside. It's all so hidden. Makes me realise that when I am having a rough day, my body is struggling inside so I need to read the signs and take it easier, giving my body the chance to catch up.
    Fr me its about giving myself permission to rest...my usual urge is to fight against it and try to ignore it, tho I'm fixing that

Have a nice day peeps!
    Jx
    Yes, we all have to learn new things. We call it our "new normal". Doesn't mean bad it just means learning to do things differently in order to take care of ourselves.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Jaynie (06-11-2013)

Thanks

Good question! I've wondered the same thing. Nobody has ever really explained to me what a "flare" is other than things get worse.