Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it the heat?

Thanks

Default Is it the heat?

Hi everyone! I have a question. I've noticed ever since we started getting the summer heat, that my fingers seem to swell up more often. I usually notice the swelling when I wake up in the morning. I've gotten used to that now. But with the 90 degree humid weather, my fingers have been swelling up even during the day. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this normal? Also, there are times when I feel like my feet are so hot! :? I can be indoors in airconditioning and my feet feel like they're 100 degrees. Does that happen to anyone? Hmmmm.... :?

Thanks

I know just what you mean. I feel like an oven most days. There are very few times that I may feel cold. At night I have to get up and put my hands under running cold water. They swell and are so red. I thought it was just me.It was awful when I was pregnant I keep thinking that I might spontaneously combust I was that hot.
    Stay cool the rest of the summer . If I find any good ways to cool off I'll write you.
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

Default Hot hands and feet

So glad that someone else is feeling this way too. Right now, my fingers feel so swollen, red, and hot. I always do the 'ring' test whenver I feel like my fingers are bloated. I wear rings on my right ring finger, and whenever I want to test for swelling, I try to slip my rings off. And right now, they're not moving... I just finished washing the dishes using cold water to help cool my fingers down. It helped a little. I've been taking cool showers lately, which helps me feel better. If you find out any info' about this and why it happens, get back to me. Thanks.

Thanks

I have the same problem. My fingers swell during the day and through the night. There are some days I can't even get my wedding bands on! I can't sleep with any rings on my fingers at night and I usually have to take them off after dinner or it can be a real challange getting them off!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Heat Edeman is pretty common for everyone, not just Lupus patients, when the weather is hot. Heat edema is swelling of the hands and feet when blood vessels expand and allow fluid to pool under the skin. The balance of salt in the body is also a risk factor for heat edema. If salt loss is less than normal, the increased salt level draws fluid into the hands and legs. This condition is not harmful, but you need to view it as a warning sign that you should cool off to avoid a more serious condition. You can remove or loosen heavy and restrictive clothing, move out of the sun if possible, and drink fluids immediately.
    If you have have other medical conditions that affect your circulation, nightime heat edema is not uncommon.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Let's talk about heat! I had such a hard time falling asleep last night. My hands and feet were so HOT! My fingers were swollen as usual. My left hand seems to be more achey. There are times when my fingers on my left hand, mostly my middle finger, feel like they're going to explode. They get so red and hot. Even my finger nails hurt. Does that happen to anyone? :?: I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep. I was getting so frustrated, it was getting really late, and I had work early in the morning. So I ended up sleeping with 3 pillows under my legs and a pillow on my chest where I laid my hands. They were also wrapped in icepacks (felt so good!) Hope I get a good night's sleep tonite. I'm exhausted from my long day at work. uppydogeyes:

Thanks

My hands pretty much stay swollen, especially in the morning. I sleep with my wedding band on and it will not budge in the morning. I check periodically throughout the day to see if it moves at all or if I can take it off. I consider it a good day when I can slip it off to clean it...it's like a mini victory!!
    Last summer I was in physical therapy because of the numbness in my left arm and the strange/limited use of my left hand. (My left index finger knuckle is the most painful) I had a hard time getting to sleep because of the stange sensation in that arm to the point where I would sleep on my left side and just wrap my arm around a pillow REALLY tight and tuck it under my head. That would just about kill any feeling in that arm and it made it bearable to sleep. Physical therapy helped for a while, but then the symptoms came back. No wonder this disease takes so long to diagnose. You almost feel like a hypochondriac (sp) when the symptoms go away. I never like to complain...I feel like I make everyone else miserable when I do.
    I am feeling a little more prepared for my dr visit on the 26th. Just writing all of this down helps me to organize my thoughts (which, as you know, can be extremely difficult to do when your memory and organizational skills are lacking!!)

Thanks

Oh my! Finding this website was an absolute gold mine! It's as good as hitting the lottery! Wow! HOT people! I truly thought that this was all part of my own freak of nature. Swollen hands, rings that won't come off, ice packs....I can't believe I found a GROUP of people that have the same stuff going on! Yehaa! Sunshine 101

Thanks

(Sunshine101) Your post just made me smile . "hot people' 8) I took a walk with a friend the other day. I had my sunblock on, sunglasses, even a hat. I was ready to tackle the sun that day. 8) But I noticed during our walk, my fingers started to get really hot, red, and swollen. My rings weren't coming off again. ops: It felt as if my finger tips were going to pop. I couldn't wait to soak my hands in icecold water. Lately, at night, after a long day at work, my feet have been really hot. I've been sleeping with icepacks on my feet-feels so good!

Thanks

I usually have to take my rings off when my husband and I go for a walk. My hands get red and swollen and then my rings won't come off. It makes me panic when they won't come off...I guess a little claustrophobia :lol: