Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "coming out" about Lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default "coming out" about Lupus

I worked in a few different jobs since being diagnosed with Lupus. It's never been an issue until now. People I work with (including the boss) know I have Lupus. Nobody has made a big deal about it. Especially me. Any accomodations or modifications I've needed to do my job as effectively as possible, I've made myself. I've never asked for any "reasonable accomodations" nor have I used Lupus as a crutch or excuse. Every single person who works in my office has some type of physical or emotional issue. Life happens. Life goes on.

Enter the Service Dog debaucle. Until I am out and about with a service dog, I can blend in, I can remain anonymous and I like it that way. Having a service dog with me is like wearing neon. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is what it is. Suddenly at work, I'm now under a microscope. Every move I make is being scrutinized. "Persecuted" is more like it. I WORK FOR A CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING of all people, THEY should be the most understanding but yet, I find the opposite. Suddenly everyone thinks they have the right to tell me how I should be handling my health. I'm getting the stories about other people they know that has lupus and so that makes them an expert. I get questioned about how I'm handling my lupus. Nobody else gets the third degree like I do. I have a boss who thinks he can tell me how I can and cannot take care of myself. Yeah, I'm building a folder about that. I feel like I'm constantly having to defend myself!

I'm not a whiner. More of a martyr than anything. I don't advertise, talk, brag or whine about my health. I'm often seen sitting at my desk drinking weird concoctions (I like to make green drinks) and eating "weird food" (organic, not fast food HOW DARE I!) I keep to myself as much as possible and don't participate in the office gossip. Yet, I'm often the topic of many conversations and it is getting very old!!!

So yes, I'm looking for a different job. Preferably with a mature group of individuals! I'm sick and tire of having to defend myself all the time.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Abbyrition (09-05-2013)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are right, it is quite hypocritical that you work at an Independent Living facility and they cannot seem to be supportive or understanding about your illness. I wish you the best of luck in finding new employment. In the meantime, since they feel that they have a right to tell you how to treat your disease, you might think about now being upfront and "in your face" about it. In other words, start demanding accommodation for your illness, start demanding that they make changes to your workspace (like replacing the fluorescent lights), start demanding that they allow you rest periods. In other words; beat them to death with your Lupus and whip them into shape. Bring in literature about the disease and leave it where they can read it and learn (include The Spoon Theory). Educate them weather they like it or not!
    There is no need for you to be a martyr - perhaps you can be a Lupus advocate instead!

Of course, these are merely suggestions. You must do only what you are comfortable with. Personally, what I have suggested to you is exactly what I had to do at my place of employment. So, while they didn't like it at first, the more they learned and the more they understood, the more supportive and accommodating they became and the resentment by them and by me lessened remarkably!

I wish you the very best, whatever you decide to do.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

lucky7 (08-28-2013), Nonna (08-30-2013), ruziska (08-28-2013)

Thanks

UGH! SO WRONG Ruziska! SO SORRY! As I always say, "you cant "get it" unless you GET IT"... Saysusie gave GOOD advice! KILL them with LITERATURE about WHAT YOU LIVE EVERY DAY of YOUR LIFE!!!! GOOD LUCK and IM THINKING of YOU!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucky7 For This Useful Post:

Nonna (08-30-2013), ruziska (08-28-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

the stupidity of narrow minded people will never change !!!!! therefore until you can get people to open there eyes ..... they will never see any problem differently.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

lucky7 (08-29-2013)

Thanks

If only there was a 'walk-in-my-shoes-for-day jab'!
    Jx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaynie For This Useful Post:

lucky7 (08-29-2013)

Thanks

The 'jab' is important...it would help me to stab 'em with a needle.

*sure that makes me sound like a lovely person?!*

Jx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ruziska,

I am so sorry you have to deal with this at your workplace! They should be ashamed of themselves for acting this way. They are supposed to be advocates for you, not discriminating against you. I agree with what Saysusie suggest. That sounds like a great course of action to take. I have been reading your post about your service dog, how is he/she doing?

Please keep us posted as to what happens.
    Creekbank

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Creekbank For This Useful Post:

lucky7 (08-29-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Creekbank. Karma is growing like a weed! I've got an exceptionally smart dog (I may be biased). Right now we are working on housebreaking and bonding, both going better than I could have ever imagined. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on regarding service dog training and dog training in general and can't wait for the day we make our public debut as a team. I've got his service bandana ready for him and when he's full grown, I'll get him a backpack with the proper patches on it. I've found he responds best to whistles so I'll be incorporating that into his training command vocabulary. The best way to teach him is through play and treat rewards. I got a laser pointer that he loves to chase. I'll be using the pointer to shine on the object I need him to retrieve. He picks up commands quickly and has already learned "no kitty" as in no, you cannot chew on the cat. However, the cats REFUSE to learn "no dog" and constantly harrass him and my beagle. The cats will literally walk up to Karma as he is happily minding his own business gnawing on a chew toy and try to take it away from him. For the moment, one of the cats outweighs him by a few pounds but that won't last long. He gains an average of 2- 2/12 pounds per week which is spot on for a labrador retriever.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-30-2013)

Thanks

AWWWWWWWWW.........WOO HOO to our FURRY BABIES!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynie View Post
    If only there was a 'walk-in-my-shoes-for-day jab'!
    Jx
    I tell people something like that 'try walking a day in my shoes....but you wouldn't even make it 10 steps because you will be in so much pain'. Too bad there wasn't a body switch type button we could use.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

ruziska (08-29-2013)