Thread: Mother and daughter both have Lupus

Thanks

Unhappy Mother and daughter both have Lupus

I have been treated for Lupus now for 2 1/2 years. I recently took my 15 yo daughter to her PCP with her complaints of severe foot pain (lasting 1 month) and nose sores that will not heal or go away. I insisted she run ANA labs on her, and she reluctantly did. Much to her surprise, and my fears, it came back positive with high titer. We went to see my rhuematologist yesterday and he took blood and urine for more detailed testing, and asked all the questions. He feels it is Lupus but wants to wait on starting treatment until the labs come back. Her main problems right now are the foot pain and nose sores. Any suggestions on helping her deal with these until we can get some treatment started? I would also love to hear from anyone else who has a mother/daughter diagnosis like this and how you handle it.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are some over-the-counter creams that might help with the nose sores and perhaps you can try Ibuprofen for her pain as it also has inflammatory properties. However, I would suggest that you contact her doctor and ask that he prescribe something now for these issues as you do not want your daughter to suffer while he is waiting for test results.
    If she is found to have Lupus - the nose sores may be Lupus ulcers and are often treated with Prednisone and/or Plaquenil. NSAIDs are often prescribed for the pain which may be caused by inflammation.
    Best of luck to both you and your daughter.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi AmyR. I am 31 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago with Lupus. My mom was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis at the same time as we were both experiencing some pretty scary symptoms and had high ANA and inflammation markers. Unfortunately, my mom's condition has continued to get worse and after prodding from me, she went in to get tested for Lupus about 3 months ago and came back positive as well. This is a highly unusual case from what I understand, but in some weird way it is comforting to have her by my side going through it together. The absolutely terrifying part is, my daughter who is 11, came back with a high ANA last year of 1:640 and inflammation markers as well. Although they have not yet diagnosed her with Lupus (she is currently diagnosed with Celiac Disease), we are concerned that a diagnosis may be around the corner as she is heading in to puberty.

I understand your concerns and can relate. Hang in there!!
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus" ...Fortune Favors the Brave.
    ~ Diagnosed SLE Lupus, Endometriosis, Anxiety Disorder, IBS~
    Meds: 400mg Plaquenil, Prednisone 6-day pack (for flares), 800mg Ibuprofen 3x day, Xanex (rarely), Vicodin (rarely)
    Supplements: Omega 3/6/9 complex, 2000iu Vit D, Iron/B12, Calcium, Folate complex, Cranberry, Probiotic, MSM/Glucosamine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

the official reports on places like lfa state that 2% of all lupus patients are due to heredity. non official estimates on places life here believe the %should be a lot higher. remember that the genes we pass on to our children, does not give a child lupus. it takes other factors as well. we never poison our children by our genes. I to have children with health issues. it too a long time for me to realise I did not sentence my children to a life of "unwellness". please do some basic research into genes and you will soon realise that parents cannot blame themselves. I am having a lot of trouble explaining myself here. yes there is a strong association from parent to sibling.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-13-2013)

Thanks

We have only just joined today so hope I post ok, we did a search to see if there were any other Mums with a child with lupus or another family member and our search brought us here. Hello to all. I am Emma and I am 42 and I have had lupus for over twenty years and my daughter has been diagnosed within the last month she is Annie and she is 16. We thought we must be pretty unique to have two of us in same family so wewere interested to find another ....

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

My moms was first diagnosed with MS about 18 years ago. She was about 30 when she found out. After looking further into it and having a lot more skin problems with the butterfly rash and so fourth the doctors realized it was more likely lupus than MS. I will be turning 28 in Aug and i recently tested psotive for ANA with speckled pattern. I recently moved and am seeing a new doctor tomorrow and am anxious to the journey ahead of finding out what is wrong. there is a long line of auto immune disease in my family and two cases of lupus that i am aware of. Glad to see other people are dealing with this daily struggle as I am.

Thanks Kindly,

A