Thread: Lupus tumidus and lupus nephritis

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lupus tumidus and lupus nephritis

Hi. Everyone
    A skin biopsy on a huge rash on my right thigh in July led to a diagnosis of LUPUS and I saw my Dermatologist again on Friday when he told me that further tests revealed that the rash was lupus tumidus.
    Has anyone else had this? Does it return? It's almost gone now thanks to Plaquenil and I was wondering if anyone else had had this particular rash.
    Also I saw my GP yesterday and he said that the results of the kidney biopsy indicated class 2 lupus nephritis. He didn't know what treatment if any was required - he said that he would uhh of leave it to the Nephrologist who I see in 10 days time. Does any body have any ideas?
    Maisie

Thanks

I've been reading a lot on this because my dr has been suspecting kidney involvement with me as well. Are you on prednisone? My guess would be, that's your next step....

Thanks

Hi Shanna
    I don't see my nephrologist until next week. I'm hoping that the involvement is so mild that I won't need treatment, just monitoring. I really don't know and I'm a bit anxious about steroids because I have a clotting disorder and I know that they don't usually like to give steroids with Warfarin.
    I think that I may be fooling myself because I have lost another 11% kidney function since July.
    Have you had a renal biopsy?
    Maisie?

Thanks

Sorry,, it took so long to get back,, how's it going with your kidney involvement? No I have not had a renel biopsy yet. I will see my doc in a week or so, and will see what's going on. My last appt showed that I had quite a bit of protein spilling in my urine. So this month he will check again and if it's still there I will be referred to the kidney doc. I 've been doing lots of research on this looking for treatments for this. What have you learned?

Thanks

Hi Shanna,
    I saw the nephrologist last week and she told me that the biopsy clearly showed that the lupus had attacked my kidneys but it seemed as though it was in its early stages. Here in the UK they're a bit cautious about steroids and so she suggested that as the Plaquenil seemed to be working so well on my skin and joints we should give it a bit longer to get the disease under control. She felt more confident because the urine test done on the day of the appointment was negative for protein for the first time in months and she felt that that may well indicate that Plaquenil was working its magic.
    She sent the results to my rheumatologist who was due to see me again at the end of Oct and he contacted me and brought the appointment forward by a month. He's an expert with lupus so he will review the results and make the final decision. I'm quite happy with this arrangement as I saw the devastating effect that steroids had on my sister when she was diagnosed with Churg Strauss. If I have to take them I will but fingers crossed that the Plaquenil will do the trick.
    Maisie x

Thanks

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that. That's so great that the plaquenal has started working on you. Good luck and keep us posted.