Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyshidrotic Eczema

Thanks

Default Dyshidrotic Eczema

Hello... I have been diagnosed with uncommon dyshidrotic eczema in June. At first I thought, oh what luck...itchy palm. Money. My Mum's superstition. Its seemed to be true, money would come. In June it was a rebate on my property taxes. But the itch never went away. Being a new progressive lens wearer I didn't notice, small pinhead size blisters that you couldn't feel but they were lurking under my skin, dozens upon dozens red spots. I finally noticed when there were hundreds.

It cycles, itches, dries..sheds. Expands...now once a spot the size of a pea has expanded to cover my palm, to my wrist and up the back of my middle finger. Today..ugh my other hand on my thumb, ya know the part that looks like a chicken drum leg is developing it.

I can't make it surrender. I am thinking it is my metal implants. I have two. Spine and mouth but they are titanium. But I read just maybe a hint of nickel maybe in them? I am allergic to cobalt, nickel, aluminum and pewter. Maybe it is chocolate. I've stop eating cow. I rarely have no stress and my grieve is, well it is not life threatening anymore. Or I should say I am not life threatening to myself anymore. They are loved and missed by me.

I am using two types of topical steroids. I plungered down oral ones still it cycles and expands.

Anyone have this? If so..any suggestions before I turn into a dry flake of itchy skin with eyes?

Thank you...Keep looking for your wellness. Hugs..O
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Oluwa;
    Are you still on any Plaquenil? I know that quinine products can cause your condition and also aggravate it. I do hope that the trace of nickel is not the culprit because then, there is little that you can do about it. I've never had this condition, but my brother has suffered with it for years and years. His remedies are often quite curious, but they work for him. When the DE is really bad, he puts a cloth on the area and irons it with a steam iron. He says that it actually works. He also said that taking extremely hot showers (no soaps or any chemicals..just hot water) also helps him. He does not use over-the-counter laundry detergents, body soaps, shampoos, or deodorants. He said that he has to buy all natural products at the health food store and/or online. They can't contain any chemicals or dyes at all.
    Like you, he has periods when it is active but not aggravating. Then he has periods where he is suffering greatly because it is all over his body (elbows, neck, back of knees, feet, palms of his hands, his shins, his back, and his stomach). I feel so sorry for him at those times because there is nothing to be done to help him.
    I did, on one occasion when he was visiting us, help him do the steam iron thing and after a few hours, the rash cleared up. I don't know what it is about heat that relieves his symptoms, but it does.
    I do hope that you find some relief and that it does not get any worse. On top of everything else huh?
    Take care of yourself..Sending you warm hugs

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (12-29-2014)

Thanks

Hello you. How are you, Saysusie?

I stopped taking Plaquenil sometime after Bola died. My head was in such a fog I'd stopped start and stop my drug regimen over and over..and now I just take scaryoids, taper dose as needed when I can't get the moderate plus flare to surrender. I even stopped all my narcotics for pain. Well, unless it is too tormenting to go on. Oh, I take Lasix cause I look like a water balloon at times...and Xanax for my anxiety and lack of sleep. But as a whole I think I am fairing very well with Lupus with the exception of nose ulcers, exhaustion and difficulty unfolding in the morning. Fog now and then. Maybe a month or so ago I was in a deep stupor. I could not even function because the fog was so dense. I laid in bed for 5 days straight and went into a mental darkness. Then poof it lifted.

I am finding many foods leave me in a marine layer and Vitamin B12. Did you know B12 is made of cobalt...and chocolate and, and beef are too. I even stopped my Mountain Dew and my protein drinks. I know for me there is some correlation between the Bs and metal...I don't even know what to eat anymore.

The type of eczema I have only affects the palm side of the hands and soles of the feet. My dermatologist said it is cause by touching metal...asked if I use a cell phone and etc. No, no. Then she felt it was stress, but I am okay. I was on a nickel free diet...nope, still lingers. I seriously think it is my dental implant. Maybe I need to go to plastic forks and eat pine cones.

I can't do hot water on my hand..it burns. I rinse it with witch hazel and walk around with a closed hands..afraid of germies. Maybe it will die fade itself out..she said that can happen too.

Gosh, remember when I had that head to toe except earlobes rash and hives? After 6 months it died out just as fast as it came. Maybe it will happen with this.

Always something....sigh.

Thank you, Saysusie...

Hugs with love...Me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh yes, I remember that horrible rash that you had and I remember someone suggesting that you use your own urine on it (lol).
    I, too, hope that it disappears as quickly as it appeared. Is there any way to have your dental implants replaces with a different product?? I mean, if it turns out that this is the culprit, you will have to find some way to remedy it.
    In the meantime..I am sending out positive prayers that this rash will dissipate and never return!

Warm Hugs, as always my friend!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

Urine...and I'd be a goat...ewww. Haha.

I am going to call the dentist Monday to find out the model, type and etc of the implant. I just thought... I wonder if it is the implant itself or the abutment.. the screw, to the implant. Humm..So, it will be too DDS on Monday. I have no reaction inside my mouth, except some times it is tender at the gum.

My plate in my neck, I think that was installed in 2007? Maybe leakage now...

Icka...all this makes me feel like I am contaminated. I just know something it trying to get out of my body.

I was researching one can be allergic to titanium too...so maybe I should get that test and see what my options are.

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers...Mwah..hugs with love.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (12-18-2014)

Thanks

I'm a lurker, currently going through the SLE diagnosis hoops, by I have had dyshydrotic eczema my whole life. It's a nightmare, I can completely sympathize. Mine tends to get most aggravated by surges in types of pollen, so any over exposure like metal allergy should be investigated. One thing that can help is to avoid water like the plague. Shower less, don't do the dishes, keep hands dry.
    Unfortunately, as you are I'm sure finding out, topical corticosteroids do not do much. This is obviously not a doctors advice, but I find that the longer I ignore those awful little fluid blisters, the more number ous they get and eventually they merge together into a giant mess that makes chunks of skin slough off. I take sterilized needles and puncture the blisters as they appear. Yes it will cause a sore and hurt, but it speeds the process into weeping, the drying, getting flaky and eventually healing, much much faster than left on their own. It also reduces the amount of skin loss from it. Now granted, if you are on immunosuppressants, infection is a risk so weigh that in.
    When all else fails, I put mentholated chest rub or Vicks cream on it. Sounds strange, but it helps with the itching for some reason. If I don't then I often wake up to find I've chewed the blisters clean off in my sleep. Worst itch on the planet. If you ever want to see a dermatologist who specializes in this form of eczema, the allergy associates of la crosse Wisconsin have extensive experience. The are the best of the best, and can give you sublingual allergen drops to build tolerance to your allergens to ease the suffering.
    Best of luck!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiffyJohnkoski For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (12-29-2014), Saysusie (12-18-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oluwa; We have not heard from you since your visit with you DDS. How did that go? What was the culprit? What was the suggested treatment and how has it worked?
    Hope to hear from you and I truly hope that the condition has gone away or, at least, the itching has stopped.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you for asking, Carlotta. No, the itching is fierce and it continues to spread. I received the information from the DDS and neuorsurgeon. No cobalt, nickel...I did not know my abutment is made of Zirconia, all the way through to the crown. Who would have thought? Now I feel like I have a glass tooth and I am afraid to use it. The only other metal alloy it has that I am allergic to is a bit of aluminum, but that does not cause dyshidrotic eczema.

My next appointment with the dermatologist is on January 5th.

TiffyJohnKoski...I have not resorted to pin popping them. I use Bag Balm on my hands. I thought to use a pumice stone to slough off the dry skin, but underneath is raw and burns. Now I got a bit of rash on my calf. Hard for me to contort like a pretzel to see what the characteristics are, but can it sprout up anywhere? It is painful. It burns..I feel like gnawing on it while awake. At night I wear cotton gloves....and at night I still scratch and carve at it. You are right, the cortisone creams do nothing...the prednisone was helping but I stopped taking it because my Primary would not refill my prescription because it was for Lupus and not this..Ugh.

Are you using the sublingual allergen drops? Are you still working on building an intolerance to the allergen?

Hugs with love...Oluwa.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,162 Posts

oluwa,
    thinking of you,
    and hoping you can find answers.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (01-05-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oluwa;
    Just wondering how you are and has the heinous itching subsided at all? I cannot believe that your doctor would not prescribe something that was working just because it is not for that specific symptom. Do you no longer have Lupus??? Aaargggh..you know how I HATE doctors who do not do what is best for their patients!
    If the Prednisone was working and if the itching is still intolerable, you may have to INSIST that he prescribe it as nothing else seems to be providing relief.
    Please let us know how you are...you are in my thoughts!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Oluwa (01-05-2015)