Thread: Confused about 11 criteria for diagnosis

Thanks

Default Confused about 11 criteria for diagnosis

I've read over and over again the 11 criteria for diagnosing lupus. I have scoured this entire website and there are so many other symptoms that people have that I don't understand why there are only 11 criteria.

For example:
    Alot of people suffer from "brain fog" but it's not on the list. Short term memory, inability to concentrate, etc.
    IBS is not on the list but there are so many people that have confirmed that as a symptom.
    Numbness in extremities...can't remember if that is on the list or not. There were others but I can't remember what they were.

Anyway, this is what is going on with me:

Short term memory (seriously, I can't remember conversations 10 minutes after and I can't remember things I need to do without a written list)
    Inability to concentrate
    Can't focus if there is external noise (radio, TV, etc.)
    TMJ
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Malar blush (only pops up when it's hot, I've been inthe sun or right after a warm shower)
    IBS
    arhtritis in my right hip
    Numbness in toes and heel of left foot
    degenerative disc disease
    cold hands a feet regardless of time of year (so bad that I can't type or write sometimes)
    mystery rashes that pop up a couple times a year on my arms and chest
    rashes on the back of my shoulders near my armpits
    rashes on my inner hips where the leg bends
    itchy scalp
    occasional chest pains
    depression
    burning muscles in my back
    I ache all over and sometimes I can't be touched (I think thats the Fibro)
    Positive ANA & CRP (I know..not a diagnosis in itself)
    and finally.....there are times when I completely zone out mentally - my son will touch me and say "Mom, you checked out again"

Now to me, most of those symptoms alone is not really a cause for alarm, but when you put them all together? I realize that some of what I'm going through may not be lupus related, but I just put everything that I'm going through on the list.

I'm waiting on blood work, it's been a week, I hope I find something out soon. What do you all think?

Thanks

I went to a class "Lupus 101" after I was dx'd and they were talking about the 11 cirteria... I had like NONE of them when I first got sick... But, they explained that that list is OLD and the new list is HUGE!!! I'll see if I can dig up the paperwork I got from that class and share it with you...

Also, just because there are 11 criteria, doesn't mean that there are only 11 symptoms...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...But my understanding is that these 11 criteria are the "differential diagnostic" criteria, meaning that they are the things that help differentiate Lupus from say...Multiple Sclerosis. Both may have symptoms of brain fog or neurological symptoms, but these are the things that clarify the "Lupus"diagnosis...over and above the common "everyday "symptoms.
    Junebug

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The symptoms of Lupus are many, but they are not all used to diagnose the disease. Do not confuse our many symptoms with the 11 criteria (which does, in fact, include SOME of the symptoms).
    The "Eleven Criteria" :
    1) Malar rash: butterfly-shaped rash across cheeks and nose
    2) Discoid (skin) rash: raised red patches
    3) Photosensitivity: skin rash as result of unusual reaction to sunlight
    4) Mouth or nose ulcers: usually painless
    5) Nonerosive Arthritis (bones around joints do not get destroyed): in 2 or more joints with tenderness, swelling, or effusion
    6) Cardio-pulmonary involvement: inflammation of the lining around the 7; heart (pericarditis) and/or lungs (pleuritis)
    8) Neurologic disorder: seizures and/or psychosis
    9) Renal (kidney) disorder: excessive protein in the urine, or cellular casts in the urine
    10) Hematologic (blood) disorder: hemolytic anemia, low white blood cell count, or low platelet count
    11) Immunologic disorder: antibodies to double stranded DNA, antibodies to Sm, or antibodies to cardiolipin. Antinuclear antibodies (ANA): positive test in absence of drugs known to induce it.

"brain fog" is a symtpom of Lupus and not a criteria used to diagnose Lupus. However, it could be included under neurologic disorders (criteria #8)
    "IBS" is also a symptom and not a criteria.
    "Numbness in the extremities" may be due to vessel constriction which can be a Symptom of Raynaud's which is, again, another symptom suffered by Lupus patients but not a criteria used to diagnose the disease.

I, too, have heard that the criteria list has been broadened. Even so, you need only have four of the eleven criteria in order for your doctor's to say that you fit the profile for Lupus. So, if you have four of the eleven, plus a myriad of other symptoms, you might eventually get a diagnosis of lupus.

Saysusie[/quote]

Thanks

Susie said: "So, if you have four of the eleven, plus a myriad of other symptoms, you might eventually get a diagnosis of lupus. "

On the other hand, I technically only have two of the eleven - (unless you count 1 undiagnosed episode of joint pain 16 years ago) - but I was diagnosed with lupus on my first visit to a rheumatologist ..... I think every doctor is different in how they diagnose.

Thanks

Yeah, when I was dx'd I only had two of the criteria... Possibly only one... But after the kidney biopsy and chest scan and a million things of blood work.... They still said I had it.... So... I agree with Sheryl!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono