Thread: Question about SLE and kidneys

Thanks

Default Question about SLE and kidneys

Hey my last Rheumy told me that with SLE, if it doesn't start with kidney issues then they won't develope later. I haven't had any problems in the past but now I am starting to feel some pains in that area of my back on the right side. I have always had a problem with brushing pains off but I don't want to cause more problems for me later down the line. Some days it does hurt, I do drink plenty of water. I do not know what I should really do. Since I switched drs a few weeks ago and in my blood test they ran a kidney functions (I go in for the results Aug 6) I would like to be patient. Is it true if kidney issues don't start in the beginning then they won't occur later?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have NEVER heard that account before. Unfortunately, many people have developed kidney issues long after their Lupus diagnosis. I do not want to scare you or make you think that you do, indeed, have kidney issues. I am merely pointing out the falsehood of that particular statement!
    I hope that your biopsy is negative for any kidney damage. But, even if it is positive, know that there are treatments available that will reduce your symptoms and possibly stop any further damage. Try not to obsess about this or to cause yourself undue stress; that is our worst enemy.
    I wish you the very best and please keep us posted about your results.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Leaniebean (07-25-2013)

Thanks

Hi there!
    I am going through something similar.please see my post on the newbie page. I had no obvious symptoms of kidney problems but my kidney function was tested and retested and I filled the criteria for a biopsy which I had on Monday (see my post for criteria).
    I have been told that even if I am currently clear of Lupus in my kidneys I will be monitored as it can occur at any time.
    I hope that this helps
    Maisie

Thanks

I will keep you posted and thank you so much for your advice. I was very confused about his statement. I am monitoring the pain versus stressing over it. It doesn't seem to be a consistent problem, it not an all day pain it last for a short amount of time which makes me not worry so much but as I thought about it I caught myself automatically ruling out any concerns but I am learning rule nothing out things are so unpredictable. Now you see even more as to the reason why I was switching doctors he was not up to date on his info.

Thanks

Hey Maisie I just read your post. How did you feel when they told you they believe you have had lupus since 1985? Did memories of random rashes and hives and pains flood your brain? I wish you the best of luck with all that is going on with your kidneys. I hope mine doesn't lead to something severe it was just something that I figured I needed to make sure of I am so glad I switched drs I was scared he was going to kill me!!

Thanks

I was a bit relieved really because it explained a great deal. I first went to the doctor about my problems with the sun in 1979. He told me that I was allergic to UV and to avoid the sun at all costs. I also knew that fluorescent lights affected me badly and in my office I would use lamps and never turn on the lights. I know some people thought it was a bit weird. One team that I managed called my office 'the bat cave'!
    Over the years friends have been upset with me when I wouldn't attend their barbeques or garden parties or picnic or I would attend and leave early. Most people love the sun and just can't understand why it is my enemy. Now they are trying to get to grips with it but they think that I just don't like the heat. One friend suggested that I would feel better if I didn't wear long sleeves and trousers on sunny days!
    Happily here in the UK we don't get months of sunshine but I don't take vacations (haven't had one since 1983) and friends really don't understand why I won't travel to sunnier climes.
    I'm trying to stay really positive and I have great doctors. My rheumatologist told me that even if it is in the kidneys my nephrologist had plenty of tricks up her sleeve to manage it.
    Good luck and keep us.posted
    maisie

Thanks

hi I have issues with my kidneys only that the filtration part does not work so got my kidney function is about 62% it varies I just have to watch my diet. it really depends on each individual case in some people lupus can affect different parts of the body. hope you get good doctor who can navigate you through these results take care and we are all here for you hugs kim