Thread: Service dog update

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Service dog update

Today I was picked out by a black lab puppy . He will be coming home to me next Sunday and his name is Karma. The journey begins with my service dog and me. Wish us luck!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,072 Posts

I am happy that you have taken this step. I didn't say anything before, because I didn't want to sway your decision. a dog can give you more than just comfort.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-22-2013)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Congratulations! I agree with Steve, your service dog will also be a loving companion. Please post pictures (when we get the upload issues resolved).

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-22-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I didn't realize that I was in denial about my Lupus until I made the decision to get a dog. Until now, its been, "yeah, I have lupus, uh huh, yeah, whatever". I never really took it seriously nor did I realize I hadn't. Now I'm going through all kinds of emotions and I'm totally tripping out. I'm not afraid of the work involved training Karma. I'm actually looking forward to that (potty training- no, but that's part of life). One of his duties will be retrieval and he's a Labrador Retrieval who comes from a long line of proven retrievers. Perfect! We'll be making retrieving a game from day one and he'll be having fun and not realizing he's learning a duty. As far as the mobility/stability aspect is concerned, that will have to wait until he's at least 6 months old. He's got a lot of growing to do first but that doesn't mean he isn't going to learn basic obedience in the mean time.

I guess the part that has me the most upset for lack of a better term is the people I work with. First of all, I need to have a conversation with the boss which I dread (he's moody to put it mildly and one never knows how he'll respond to ANYTHING). They all know I have Lupus. Up until recently, I've walked without assistance, without my cane. Something I should have been using a long time ago. I haven't really talked about my lupus and because of that, my coworkers are surprised. They have questions and that's fine. I expect that and welcome the opportunity to educate people. However, I don't appreciate the negativity born of ignorance. You got it, "well you DON'T LOOK SICK", "I stumble too", "sometimes my joints hurt" etc, etc,etc. Yes, but I stumble over NOTHING, I often get hurt when I stumble. When my joints hurt, over the counter meds don't phase it, and so on and oh yeah, I MAKE LUPUS LOOK GOOD! lol I know it doesn't matter what people think, and I never really cared what anyone thinks about me but I have to spend most of my cognitive hours with these people so the smoother and more pleasant the work day goes the better. I'm sure I'm making too much of a big deal out it. I don't know...
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

steve.b (07-22-2013)

Thanks

That is so exciting. I wish you the best with your new pup. Spend lots of time with him and you will develop a special bound. I had a golden retreiver for 13 years and she understood everything I said and was always by my side. I hope you have that bond with your new pup. A puppy is a lot of work in the beginning but it will be worth it.. have a wonderful time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelly For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-23-2013)