Thread: new to the site

Thanks

Default new to the site

my name is tammy i am 49. my first signs of lupus started when i was 22 but the ones that took over my life started when i was 41. i am in a constant battle with lupus. i do not feel that my husband understands how awful this stuff is. i have been going to a rheumotologist for the last 8 years and seems like i havent gotten a thing accomplished. doctor wants to put me on cymbalta not for depression but for pain. i have taken many other antidepressants and they didnt help just made me feel zoned out. i have a 7 yr. old i cannot go around feeling zoned out. i want something to stop my pain and something to make my muscles feel stronger instead of feeling so weak that i feel like i am going to fall. i also have arthritis and fibromyalgia. the doctor never knows what is caused from what. i think it is her job to figure it out and get me better. i feel that i have lost 8 years of my life and i want to get better and by now i should be.i am just about ready to find another doctor.i feel all the stress from lupus is going to cause me more problems cause stress is bad for you. why in the world is there not any drug plan for lupus patients. i am so sick of this. i do not even have 1 day a week without pain and weakness with fatigue. i know and fell in my heart that there has to be some kind of hope for me.i want at least part of my life back, one or two days a week without pain and fatigue, this is possible right.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and Welcome to our family;
    One of the main reasons why there is no treatment plan for Lupus is the fact that Lupus affects each of us differently. No one will have the exact same symptoms from Lupus and, therefore, our treatment regimen will not be the same. Also, the disease itself changes. The symptoms that we have today may go away tomorrow only to be replaced by new symptoms. Also, the symptoms that are mild today may be intolerable tomorrow or the symptoms that are intolerable today may be mild tomorrow. So, there is no way that there can be a specific treatment plan for Lupus.
    Your treatment plan will be one that works for your specific symptoms and one that deals with the way that Lupus affects you. Since this is a disease that changes, so will your treatment plan change.
    Lupus is a chronic disease, there is no pill, no treatment and no changes that will make this disease go away. Chronic means that the disease will, in some form, most likely be with you for the rest of your life. What you must do is learn as much as you can about the disease, its treatments, medications and how it affects you personally. Then, you must make the appropriate lifestyle changes, take your medications and do what is necessary in order to help you manage your Lupus as best as you can so that you can find some normalcy in your life.
    Now, many of us also suffer from Lupus and Fibromyalgia and the symptoms of the two do overlap and resemble one another. There is no way that your doctor can know how each disease affects you. Therefore, it falls upon you to differentiate which symptoms belong to which disease. However, I find that it is not really necessary to make such a distinction because the treatments for both are usually the same. You can drive yourself mad trying to figure out which disease is causing which symptom and that is totally unnecessary. Again, I say that you must educate yourself about both diseases so that you can become proactive in your health care and make informed decisions with your doctor. Do not wait or expect your doctors to have all of the answers..they don't and they won't. YOU must be the one who is educated and you must be the one who works WITH your doctors to find appropriate treatment for you.
    There is a wealth of information here - both in the stickys and in the forums. Please do read through them and feel free to ask any questions that you may have. We are here to help you become a proactive patient, a knowledgeable patient, and an informed patient. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!