Thread: New With Questions

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default New With Questions

Hello,
    I am new to this forum, having just been diagnosed with probable Lupus. I am a 31 year old female. I have gone through six months of being bounced around to doctors and finally landed at a rheumatologist. The majority of my symptoms have been muscle/joint related (pain, tightness, twitching etc.) and loads of fatigue. No fevers/no rashes, etc. My ANA came back normal, but my Anti-dsDna came back equivocal at 7. 5-9 being equivocal results. Only other results that has been abnormal is low Vitamin D. The doctor started me on plaquenil. At this point, I am fine with a diagnosis of anything, because at least they have found something for why I feel so horrible every day. I was a very fit athlete, and can barely get out of bed much of the time now. I am very sad and frustrated. There has been very little/to no relenting of symptoms in the past six months. In doing some research over the last two weeks, it just seems a bit premature to go on that blood test alone, my muscle/joint issues, and fatigue. If anyone could share their thoughts, that would be wonderful. Thanks so much for your help. I truly appreciate it!!

Thanks

Has the plaquenal started to work yet?? That in itself will give you some answers. This process can be quite depressing, so keep your chin up and expect to go thru a sort of grieving process for the way things were. If it gets too depressing talk with your dr about it and if u might need an anti depressant,, lots of people with chronic illness have to do this, maybe even temporary

Thanks

Hi Shanna,
    Thanks so much for your reply! I did go on some antidepressants when this all started happening, especially since it followed a miscarriage. It was also very hard not being able to work out, since that has always been my outlet. I have since gone off them because I do want to start trying for a baby again. My doctors have said not to put my life on hold and try to continue to do things that I want to do and hopefully we will figure it out in the meantime. I have only been on the Plaquenil for a little over a week. I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will see some benefit. I am usually pretty sensitive to medication, so hopefully it will start working soon. I also haven't had any side effects at this point, which is great. How long did it take you to see some benefit? It seems that this answer is all over the place. Thanks for your input!

Thanks

Well I first got started on plaquenal, and felt better after the first month or so, but then after six months I had a bad reaction to it and had to stop. Now I'm on Cellcept, and I'm getting benlysta infusions. We are still waiting to see if this will work for me. It's been a little over a year since I was diagnosed and my lupus is still very much active. So see,this can take awhile.