Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Severe Hair Loss

Thanks

Default Help Severe Hair Loss

I have been diagnosed with lupus for about 1 year now, and I have started having severe hair loss, I have talked to my doctor about it and he just tells me that it is because of the prednisone and the hydroxychloraquin that I am on? I am not sure what to do and it is not getting any better. If anybody has any suggestions that would help it would be graetly appreciated. I really don't want to go bald, and also I am located in Colorado Springs, Colorado and I am having a very hard time finding a support group here. If anyone knows of one let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Jasmine

Thanks

Hi!

I'm in Golden Colorado!! Nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy has helped me a lot!!! I've been dx'd just about a year too! Last July!!

Glad you found us!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Severe Hair Loss

Thanks for your reply, I will have to try the Nioxin Shampoo.

Thanks

Default I know how it feels...

I know how you feel about the hair loss. I was newly diagnosed only on March 2006. Little by little I'd notice some hair falling out. My hair's been getting thinner and thinner. I used to have long thick hair, and now, its sooo thin. I think its the lupus that's causing the hair loss for me. I've noticed the hair falling out before I was on prednisone. I look at myself in the mirror each morning and want to cry. :cry: I miss my hair. I even bought my first clip on ponytail. I just started using the Nioxin product this weekend. Hope it works for me like it worked for others... Keep me up to date with your Nioxin progress...

Thanks

Hang in there Buddha Belly, It will get better, I went to the doctor this morning and he told me that the lupus and the prednisone puts your hair growth on a schedule, Normally your hair falls out in intervals out of different places at different times, and when you have lupus the disease makes your hair shedding syncronized and it all sheds at the same time, So he told me that instead of having hairloss a little at a time that I will now have "seasons" like spring winter ect. where my hair will fall out and grow all at the same time. He told me that the disease and the prednisone will have to same effect on my hair. He also told me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I won't go bald!!!, then he said just consider this season "fall" because my hair is falling out, Ha Ha. At least he has a sense of humor. So just hang in there. As for the nioxin, I have been using it for about a week or so and I can already tell a difference so I would suggest it to anyone that is having problems of this kind. :roll:

Thanks

Wow, that is interesting about the "seasons." I'm not on prednisone but my hair is still falling out.

I have only used the nioxin for two days, but I am pretty sure there was less hair in the shower drain than usual today. I am optimistic!

Thanks

Default "Season's" of hair loss

Thanks for the good news Jasminestellick! It cheered me up. I like that analogy about the seasons of hair loss. Now I understand why my hair is falling out. Good news though... I've noticed little hairs sticking straight up from the top of my head and some on the back. They're little baby hairs that are growing back. I'm so happy! The Nioxin is doing something to my head. Its like miracle grow for the scalp! I also noticed ever since I've started using Nioxin, less hair has been falling out. Can't wait til my hair grows back!

Thanks

Budda Belly,
    I am glad to hear that you are in better spirits, As far as those little hairs that you are seeing, they are called "lupus hairs" yes they have a term for everything. Good luck with everything and if you just need to vent type me a line. This can be a very hard thing to deal with by yourself and family and friends don't always know what to say because they don't live it everyday. Keep your chin up!!!!! :lol:

Jasmine
    What hurts, Will only make us stronger

Thanks

Mine kind of comes and goes but I lost a lot of hair before I was dx'd.

I started taking biotin supplements along with Omega oils (it's a mix if fish, flax, and borage) and that seems to have slowed it down. And the hair I have looks healthier.

Thanks

I"ve been using Nioxin for a little over a week now. I've noticed some progress, just wish it would work faster. My hair is still falling out, but I've been finding less amount of hair in the drain. So that's a good sign! :P I'm just getting anxious, because I see the little hairs sticking up everywhere. I've been using some hairspray or gel to tame those little 'lupus hairs.' I'm so happy that my hair's slowly coming back. I've also been taking Biotin as a dietary supplement and fish oil (which also helps with inflammation). Hope I get the same positive results that you got Ariel... Has all your hair grown back yet? I used to complain about how thick and long my hair was... Now I miss it so much. :cry: