Thread: So confused by skin discoloration

Thanks

Default So confused by skin discoloration

Hi

I am sorry that i only come here when something is wrong. In my defense, when something is wrong, it is great to ask a grouP of people in the same situation. Ignoring that disclaimer...
    The skin around my knees and toes changes color while I sleep and I have become super sensitive to bug bites and bruising. What does this mean? And my toes hurt in the am but nothing else feels wrong. I am super scared.
    I feel like i am doing everything right. I eat right, exercise and get regular blood work. I hate to say it but this isn't fair.
    Thanks for helping out.
    -Elizabeth
    Lupus (nephritis), Osteopenia, Raynaud's, plaqueneil, cellcept

Thanks

When you say "change color"-- what color do they change to? My hands, feet, and knees turn mottled purple regularly. It's a livedo reticularis thing, and my doctor said it goes along with the autoimmunity and not to worry about it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

papillon (01-30-2014), Saysusie (07-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derrie View Post
    When you say "change color"-- what color do they change to? My hands, feet, and knees turn mottled purple regularly. It's a livedo reticularis thing, and my doctor said it goes along with the autoimmunity and not to worry about it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am African American so I am sure of it is purple but it is darker than my skin and mottled and shows up around my knees and in the front of the my legs in the morning. It also shows up on my feet and hands during the day sometimes.
    Lupus (nephritis), Osteopenia, Raynaud's, plaqueneil, cellcept

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello
    There are several possibilities for your condition. One possibility could be Livedo reticularis and/or palmar erythema (as Derrie mentioned). These conditions are caused by abnormal rates of blood flow through your capillaries and small arteries. You will have a bluish, lacelike mottling under your skin, especially on your legs, that gives a "fishnet" appearance. Like Raynaudís phenomenon, these conditions tend to be worse in cold weather.
    Another possibility could be Cutaneous vasculitis. These appear as leasions and occurs when inflammation damages the blood vessels in your skin. The lesions usually look like small, red-purple spots and bumps; occasionally, larger knots (nodules) and ulcers can develop. Vasculitis lesions can also appear in the form of raised sores or as small red or purple lines or spots in your fingernail folds or on the tips of your fingers. In some cases cutaneous vasculitis can result in significant damage to skin tissue. Areas of dead skin can appear as sores or small black spots at the ends of your fingers or around your fingernails and toes, causing gangrene (death of soft tissues due to loss of blood supply).
    Another possibility might be Raynaud's Syndrome. This is a condition in which the blood vessels in your hands and feet go into spasm, causing restricted blood flow. Lupus-related Raynaudís usually results from inflammation of nerves or blood vessels and most often happens in cold temperatures, causing the tips of your fingers or toes to turn red, white, or blue. Pain, numbness, or tingling may also occur.
    It is best if you advise your doctor of your symptoms so that tests can be run and/or a diagnosis made and treatment can be started. I wish you the very best of luck and please let us know what you and your doctor decide.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-08-2013), papillon (01-30-2014)