Thread: Pain in my shins?!!? Help Needed!

Thanks

Default Pain in my shins?!!? Help Needed!

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is feeling well. Its been quite a while, but I need to pick your brains a bit. I'm having a problem these last few days with my shins. It started in my knees two days ago. Now my shins are in terrible pain. When I walk it feels like my shins are being crushed. When I lay down I have to keep my legs a certain way or the pain gets worse. Anyone else have this problem or know anything about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Btw I'm on 40mg of prednisone, 400mg of plaquenil, 150mg of imuran, and a host of other meds. I have both lupus (nephritis,discoid, cutaneous, profundus) and Raynaud's phenomenon. Hope that helps. Thanks

Thanks

Is it possible you have a blood clot? Is it both sides? Or just one leg? I am suffering phlebitis at the moment and the pain in my calves has been very bad, with some knee pain as well.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Often, RA will manifest as pain in the shin. RA is also an auto-immune disease. It could also be shin splints (an injury common to joggers/runners). Another possibility is compartment syndrome which is a swelling in the muscles within a closed compartment. This creates pressure and decompression is needed in order to alleviate the issue because the blood supply can be compromised. The symptoms include leg pain, nerve sensations and muscle weakness.
    A third possibility could be a stress fracture (an incomplete crack in the bone). This is more serious than a shin splint and would require a bone scan to diagnose. You can look for clues by pressing your fingertips along your shin. If you can find a definite spot of sharp pain, it is a sign of a stress fracture. Shin splint's pain is usually more generalized. Whatever the issue may be, I would suggest that you speak to your doctor so that the true cause can be found and treatment can begin.

Best of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have had this issue before and it was low Vitamin D. I have reoccurring bouts with it and it often happens if I have a metabolic imbalance due to dietary issue. Perhaps asking for a Complete metabolic panel and a Vitamin D test might provide you with answers or at least a starting point to begin ruling out things. I was miserable as it literally felt like I was walking on broken bones daily.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Thanks

Another cause might be gout. When my Uric acid climbs it feels as if someone's trying to pry my shins apart with a crowbar. Although restless leg syndrome, or tendinitis could be possible too. A back injury can cause leg pain, although personally ive never experienced it in the shins. This post is over a month old-but if you have leg swelling, a visible lump or redness (usually calf pain in the lower leg like a really bad charley horse that doesn't go away) or sudden shortness of breath, I'd see your doctor incase of dvt/embolism.