Thread: Extreme itchy skin without a rash?

Thanks

Default Extreme itchy skin without a rash?

I'm recently diagnosed and haven't had any of the standard skin symptoms, no rash at all. But I've had a few bouts were my skin (forearms mainly) gets very itchy. There is no rash at all- I think the generic term for itchiness without rash is pruritus. Scratching doesn't seem to relieve the itching, usually it just goes away after 15 minutes. And this isn't a dry skin issue or anything like that, its a very deep itchiness unlike anything I've ever had before. I've had this happen a couple of days in a row now. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this symptom, or know anything else that would cause this? I have heard that plaquenil can cause this, but I have had a few instances of this itching before I started that med, so I'm pretty sure thats not it. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think we all know exactly what your going through! I have itched myself bloody many times. If it gets really bad I use benadryl and that worked great for me. Actually since I started using corona multi-purpose ointment i'm not nearly as itchy.

Thanks

Benadryl! Try it, see if it works for you. This has been happening to me a lot lately (although I am undiagnosed). Also, if you're finding it happening after being outside, wear your sunscreen.

I also have found plain old unrefined shea butter to be somewhat helpful in the itchiness, and also plain unrefined coconut oil helps somewhat too.

Thanks

Maybe dermagraphia? Do you get raised whelps where you scratch. These go away quickly once the itching subsides.I have this, and it can be miserable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jolynnhughes View Post
    Maybe dermagraphia? Do you get raised whelps where you scratch. These go away quickly once the itching subsides.I have this, and it can be miserable.
    Nope, no raised whelps. And it most commonly happens in the morning shortly after I wake up or mid afternoon at work, so I can't specifically relate it to sunlight. Glad to know I'm not the only one- its hard to explain to someone how bad the itching is when there is no visible rash.

Thanks

I've had itching so bad, particularly on my thighs, that scratching actually caused massive bruising. My dr. prescribed hydroxyzine hcl and it does help. I still get it on my head and back on occasion but not as intense. Haven't found any creams, other than the prescriptions, that help.