Thread: Need Help Understanding UCDT Symptoms

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Need Help Understanding UCDT Symptoms

My Rhumy originally diagnosed me with Lupus, then months later with Sjogren's and Lupus. Most recently she said I have UCDT. Symptoms of Lupus, Sjogren's, severe swelling in hands (especially at night) with pain in hands (distal, from tips back to 2nd joint), toes, frequent Raynaud's (hands, feet and nose) highly sensitive to sun with hives but not typical butterfly rash, dry mouth, eyes, skin, kidney issues periodically with protein in urine. From looking at the forum Q&A I understand now why she calls it UCDT - thank you to everyone who has shared on these threads. What I need help with is identifying the difference between pain that is from connective tissue disease and pain that is from arthritis and these other diseases. The pain in my fingers is from the tips back, it doesn't "feel" like it is isolated to the joints. Recently I have been having pain in my elbows too. Moving the skin on the outside of my elbow hurts, pressing on the bone or joint doesn't cause the pain but movement and moving the skin does hurt. I have been taking Plaquenil for 5 months now and the dry mouth and eye symptoms are much better. The pain in hands and feet is better too but I still have "flares" and especially with the strange weather changes and storms we have had in the last 2-3 weeks. I have woken up at night with severe pain in my elbow and hands and within 10 - 15 minutes a severe thunderstorm hits our area. Please share with me your thoughts and experiences on UCDT pain vs other joint pain - or is it the same?? Thanks for your help!

Thanks

I'm dx'd UCTD also. Along with fibro, arthritis, osteopenia, degenerative disk disease, tmj, hypercalciuria, chondramalacia, Wicca syndrome, IBS, and some more but the fog rolls in. I understand trying to pinpoint which condition the pain is coming from. Especially when I have tests done and they ask specific questions. Half the time I don't know either. The arthritis pains are mostly deep aches or sharp pains within the joints. The UCTD and fibro is achey flu-like and tender spots. Elbows definitely. You could keep a pain diary to help you and doctors see what's going on.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jend719 For This Useful Post:

Lightworker (06-28-2013), Saysusie (07-01-2013)

Thanks

Thank you Jend719, I am keeping a pain diary now. Sometimes I feel odd tracking everything so your encouragement to keep that up is helpful. Also knowing that elbow pain is part of the disease helps me too - I see my rheumatologist on Monday and I will be sure to let her know that new information. Bless you for helping me!