Thread: Do meds affect blood work?

Thanks

Default Do meds affect blood work?

I was wondering if anyone knows...Do the meds you take affect things like ANA or antibody tests? I can imagine they would affect inflammatory tests like sed rate and CRP...but does anyone know about the others?
    Junebug

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Factors that can interfere with your ANA test and the accuracy of the results include:
    Medications, such as hydralazine (Apresoline), procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl, Promine), and certain anticonvulsants (such as Dilantin, Mysoline). These medications can cause a form of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) called drug-induced lupus. Lupus resulting from these medications may cause a high antinuclear antibody (ANA) titer.
    Medications, such as antibiotics (isoniazid, penicillin, and tetracycline), birth control pills, lithium, and some diuretics, such as chlorthalidone (Hygroton).
    Heart or blood pressure medications, such as acebutolol (Sectral), captopril (Capoten), atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor), lovastatin (Mevacor), and quinidine.
    Aging. Some older adults (5% to 40%) may have mildly elevated levels. Older women appear to have higher ANA titers than older men.
    Steroids, which may cause a false-negative result.

I hope that this helps
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Okay... I have a question... Does your ANA and Anti DS DNA ever go back to normal?
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono