Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the ladies. ( nothing gross, lol)

Thanks

Default Question for the ladies. ( nothing gross, lol)

I have not had a mammogram in over 10 years, because the last one hurt like heck. I am not that sensitive, but it really hurt very bad. Maybe it is because I have cysts, but I don't think, that I can handle this pain again.
    My hubby made me promise, that I would get a mammogram this year. I am so scared.
    I have read somewhere, that there are painless mammograms available. Does anyone know what they are called?
    I have googled " painless mammograms", and it said, that mammograms should not be painful. ( Thanks for that helpful info).
    Does anyone have the same problem? I can't be the only one.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You could talk to your doctor and ask if he could order a sonogram instead. Tell him how painful the mammogram is for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
    You could talk to your doctor and ask if he could order a sonogram instead. Tell him how painful the mammogram is for you.
    I have, but he said it was up to the insurance and I am sure they will not pay for that.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

It helps many people to take pain relievers before the procedure...if you don't think Ibuprofen will cut it, ask your doc about something stronger. Ket him/her know that your last experience made you wait 10 years before having another one! You need to do whatever it takes to get the screening done - mammograms hurt, but not as much as breast cancer....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013), tgal (06-14-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have rather large breasts and mine didn't hurt until the last one when my fibro was acting up. Then my skin felt like it was on fire and being mashed. I was told then to take pain relievers and, since you are stressed about it, ask your doc about a Valium or something for the procedure. Just make sure someone drives you home!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013)

Thanks

I had one a few years ago and actually you just reminded me I need to go again next month. I was scared that it would hurt from the stories I've heard. The place I went to was fairly new and their machines are new ...it didn't hurt at all. Maybe you could find somewhere that has more modern equipment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jend719 For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013)

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

Once I get to Dallas, I will see my Primary from 8 years ago and talk to him about it. He is a great doctor and will probably order an ultra sound, he will find a reason for one.

Debbie

Thanks

Debbie-

My family has a history of breast CA so I've been having mammos since I turned 35. I am now 48 (our little secret). The machines now are much less painful now than they were when I first started having them. In fact, the initial mammo is a screening mammo and not painful at all (I'm not small breasted by any means). If there is something suspicious, they radiologist calls you back for a more "intensive" mammo (darn lupie fog-I can't remember the technical term). That one, i believe is the more painful one-like the old mammo-of the two. If, based on the findings of the second mammo, they want further studies, an ultrasound will be ordered.

I URGE you to schedule your screening. The timing of the mammo can make a difference-I believe it's best to have it done during the first week of your menstrual cycle. Remember, early detection is the best defense against breast cancer.

PLEASE call and get it scheduled.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013), tgal (06-15-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

from a males point of view....... anything that can reduce the risk is worth doing !!!!!!!!! please arrange to have the mammo, and seeing the doctor first for a relaxant makes sense to me.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013)

Thanks

Debbie, please talk to your dr about your fears of pain I am sure a small prescription for something to get through it is fine. Seems to me it's better that way then not going. My sister just went through breast cancer. It was so scary and sad to watch her be so sick through chemo. It's soooooooooo important for yearly checks. One Valium or painkiller is better then a round of chemo and that is what I would tell my dr lol. I'm gonna check up and make sure you got yourself scheduled.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcatsgirl For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-15-2013)