Thread: Any suggestions for controlling weight gain on Predisone??? :(

Hybrid View

Thanks

Unhappy Any suggestions for controlling weight gain on Predisone??? :(

HI,

I was recently diagnosed with SLE 2 weeks ago and started on Imuran & Prednisone. While I expected to gain weight from the Prednisone I didn't realize I would gain so quickly!! Anyone have any ideas on controlling weight gain?? Thanks!

Thanks

I am on Plaquinil and Prednisone and I too have gained weight in a short period of time. I limit how much I eat because the prednisone makes me very very hungry I have noticed and I also cut out the carbs and soda and that has helped a lot

Thanks

I was on prednisone (for a different condition) for a year. Starting at 100mg every other day. The only way I lost the weight I gained from prednisone was getting off the drug. Prednisone makes you retain so much fluids. It’s a great drug with horrible side effect. I hope you are not stuck on it for a long time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am one of the few that hasn't gained a bunch of weight from prednisone but when the prednisone makes me hungry all the time I try to eat healthier stuff like I always have pretzels on hand or fruit. It also helps that I don't drink any sodas, coffee, or fast food.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Has your doctor said anything to you about tapering your Prednisone. Most weight gain from Prednisone is fluid retention and the drug does cause increased appetite. If there are plans to taper the drug, the good news is that this side effect (weight gain) tends to reverse when the dosage of prednisone is below 10 mg/day. The fluid retention and increased appetite will both decrease. This will not reverse itself right away, so sticking to a healthful eating plan and getting regular exercise will be necessary to help you to take off the pounds. It will be easier to do both of these things when the underlying condition for which the prednisone was prescribed is either resolved or under control.
    Unfortunately, there is no easy road to weight loss, which is why there are so many diet plans and pills that promise a quick weight loss. The best way to lose weight, however, is still through a healthy lifestyle: reducing calorie consumption and getting regular exercise. Weight loss should be slow and steady to give the best chance of losing the pounds permanently.

I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!