Thread: New with LR questions

Thanks

Default New with LR questions

Hi, I don't have lupus but I noticed livedo recticularis can be a symptom so I was hoping someone could give me some info. The LR first showed up last May when my daughter noticed it. Initially, it was though to be an allergic reaction to a new med that I had only been on for a week for LQTS (basically electrical issues with the heart). My blood work and a urinalysis then was completely normal. It faded, though not completely. About 3 weeks ago it came back just as dark as before. I am on no medications at all at this point, so it is obviously not an allergic reaction. I saw my PCP about 2 weeks ago after my daughter's cardiologist said I had better get an appointment ASAP when she saw my legs. Last time there was a little swelling and muscle tightness. This time there is more swelling, muscle fatigue, and muscle tightness. Saturday I was a little more active, updating my chicken coop. By evening my legs were like jello and ached like I had done a lot of squats. Even Sunday morning my legs were still sore and tired. I have seen plenty of pics of LV, but mine still looks different than what I have seen. I am not freaking out about what I may or may not have, I just want to know what it is and if it can be treated. Here is the pic of my "gorgeous" legs....LOL. Any input would be appreciated while I wait on the rheumatology referral to go through. Thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sarahliz;
    You stated that you do not have lupus. However, Levido reticularis is one of the common skin diseases seen with Lupus. There are several auto-immune diseases that have this issue as a common symptom. Levido Reticularis is a condition in which dilation of capillary blood vessels and stagnation of blood within these vessels causes mottled discoloration of the skin. It is described as being reticular (net-like) cyanotic (reddish blue discoloration) cutaneous discoloration surrounding pale central areas. It occurs mostly on the legs, arms and trunk and is more pronounced in cold weather.
    You did not say if your condition is secondary or perhaps Sneddon's syndrome which is a form of idiopathic livedo reticularis with systemic involvement i.e. internal blood vessels are affected, most commonly in the brain, eye and heart.
    Secondary is when the condition may be a sign of vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels- also a common symptom in auto-immune diseases like Lupus) or of obstruction of the vessel by some circulating material. The following conditions may be responsible for secondary:
    Vasculitis: livedoid vasculitis - polyarteritis nodosa - Lupus - Dermatomyositis -RA - lymphoma -Pacreatitis - TB.
    Unfortuantely, there is no specific treatment for livedo reticularis. Rewarming the area in idiopathic cases or treatment of the underlying cause (if it is an auto-immune disease) of secondary livedo may reverse the discoloration. If the condition is due to systemic vasculitis, it can be treated with corticosteroids and immunosuppressants; doses and combinations will vary according to the seriousness of your condition and if there are internal organs involved. Serious organ dysfunction requires the use of corticosteroids and cyclophosphamide pulse therapy. Combining low doses of corticosteroids with methotrexate or azathioprine is a good option for maintenance treatment in these cases.
    There is no effective treatment for generalized livedo reticularis in antiphospholipid syndrome or Sneddon syndrome. Skin lesions due to thrombosis can be treated with low doses of aspirin or antiplatelet therapy, although some cases may require coumarin anticoagulants.
    I hope that this has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi,
    Welcome. Let us know the rheumy report.
    Heron