Thread: What are your triggers?

Thanks

Question What are your triggers?

Hi peeps!
    I know we're all different, but I was wondering if we all have similar triggers for flares? Mine started, I believe, from a chemical trigger of ibuprofen and Volatrol. Summer sets me off..hayfever or sun maybe and getting really sick like flu sends me into a flare too. Ibuprofen is the worst, that brings up my vasculitis big time, but I avoid any NSAIDs now because of kidney involvement.
    How ill do you have to be to consider yourself in a flare? Can it be very early symptoms or does it have to be a serious 'knock out'?

Jx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If I can't function like a normal person can(like grocery shopping and doing laundry) I consider myself sick. Than I consider my flares where I can't get out of bed, fevers, throwing up, lack of appetite, and all of that fun stuff. My triggers are pretty much anything obviously stress but my main ones are sun and heat thats why I have like 80% of my windows in my house covered. If I got the flu that triggers a flare or sometimes if I get injured.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Polly (06-03-2013)

Thanks

I'm still quite new to this, but I believe my triggers are too much sunshine, heat, and infections. I had E.coli & strep D diagnosed when I first went into this really bad Lupus flare (4 months so far) which then led to my SLE diagnosis. I have now been told that it was probably a misdiagnosed lupus flare in 2010, when I had a really bad stomach upset and the GP said it was Reactive Arthritis afterwards.

As I said - still kinda learning what Lupus is and how it effects my body. I used to get "crashes" where I had to just go to bed when I got home from work if I had spent the whole day in the sunshine - now I know why - I wasn't just overworked!!

Thanks

- Viruses
    -lack of sleep/stress (although I am learning to manage stress better and better as I get older, and most things don't get to me the way they used to so they also don't make me sick)
    - airline travel
    - more than 10 minutes in flourescent lighting (it's not as bad if there is also natural light form windows - but if it's all flourescent it's AWFUL!)
    - gluten, dairy, more than a smidge of soy, processed foods with lots of additives, or having more than about 10-15% of my diet come from simple/starchy carbs (grains, potatoes, etc) - I definitely feel MUCH better on a gluten/dairy/soy-free Paleo-type diet
    - alcohol
    - and, sadly, increasingly, sunlight. I have never been terribly sun-sensitive in the way many Lupus patients are, but it seems like this summer it's worse than it was last summer, so I am thinking that all that may be changing :-( Some of my meds also make people more sun-sensitive, so I am hoping that's what it is instead of the Lupus itself. Either way, I use sunblock, hats, and long sleeves as much as possible. I work outdoors (and LOVE it!), so it's impossible for me to completely avoid it - I hope I never have to make that horrible choice!

Thanks

I'm so lucky that my condition is pretty managed....clinically, I just feel tired and achy sometimes. I should be grateful! I'm still learning to accept my limits! I think sun is going to be my main issue this year...lucky I live in a Victorian house at the end of the row...pointing in the un-sunny direction!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The sun, the sun and the sun. Extreme temperatures. Stress. Lack of sleep. The barometer dramatically changing.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"