Thread: Malar Rash question

Thanks

Default Malar Rash question

Hello folks,
    I haven't posted in quite a while, since I had a second rheumy indicate that my only diagnosis would be fibromyalgia. However, I remain to be skeptical since no doc would re-do my ANA testing. Long story short, last year I had ANA testing 1:640 homogenous, followed by a battery of testing that only revealed abnormal amounts of ss-DNA, antichromatin antibodies (off the charts high) and anti-centromere. First rheumy insisted I had Drug induced lupus but then never followed up or explained what med caused it or whether I would need to do anything to get rid of it.

Past year, since my run-ins with rheumys, I have had pleuritis (3 months last summer), followed by an increase in rashiness/acne and miscellaneous problems such as stomach issues/gastritis and severe anemia.

Ok, so that wasn't so short, ha. Sorry. This brings me to my current question - I think I am photosensitive. Since the sun finally returned to Maine, I have been INCREDIBLY itchy and tired after being in sun. I noticed my arms getting redder and redder with the itchiness two days ago when I went for a walk. I am going to be brave and post a photo of myself from this morning. I apologize for looking so gross lol.

Here goes:

What is your opinion? Do you think this looks like a malar rash? Or is it likely just stress or hormone related acne? Nothing seems to be helping the acne, by the way. I've tried over the counter stuff; I've quit flouride toothpastes and drinking any flouridated waters;I recently went gluten-free. I've tried apple cider vinegar toners and tea tree oil. Nothing works.

Thank you for reading/looking at my glamourous mug. hah. I appreciate honest feedback as to whether this may be malar.

Oh, and just for a bonus, here's a photo of the fun itchy rash I got on my upper back after being in the sun yesterday.
    Last edited by jessinmaine; 06-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Autoimmune diseases are weird like this. It's always one thing or another. First off wear sunscreen all the time even if it's cloudy. Second I get that itchy thing and my doctor said it was just dry skin even if I don't totally agree with her but the anti-itch lotions work well. The only lotion/cream that I have found that works the best is a cream called Corona, you find it behind pharmacist's counter all you have to do is ask and it's like 8 bucks but it lasts for a long time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    Autoimmune diseases are weird like this. It's always one thing or another. First off wear sunscreen all the time even if it's cloudy. Second I get that itchy thing and my doctor said it was just dry skin even if I don't totally agree with her but the anti-itch lotions work well. The only lotion/cream that I have found that works the best is a cream called Corona, you find it behind pharmacist's counter all you have to do is ask and it's like 8 bucks but it lasts for a long time.
    Thanks Mica. I checked out that cream, but it's lanolin and last time I used that my hands felt like they were burning off lol. I think I am allergic. And yes, autoimmune stuff is so hard to sort out, and sometimes the symptoms seem like a puzzle that never seems to fit together. Then again, since I have hashimoto's thyroiditis than I also have to wonder if a lot of my symptoms (perhaps even the ANA testing) was a result of that issue. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

There are so many kinds of rashes that Lupus can bring on. I have also noticed that my skin has become very sensitive to lotions and perfumes as well. I have to wear sunscreen at all times AND be careful of what is in them LOL.

sorry you are having such a hard time with docs. Too many of us have doc horror stories
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

jessinmaine (06-05-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessinmaine View Post
    Thanks Mica. I checked out that cream, but it's lanolin and last time I used that my hands felt like they were burning off lol. I think I am allergic. And yes, autoimmune stuff is so hard to sort out, and sometimes the symptoms seem like a puzzle that never seems to fit together. Then again, since I have hashimoto's thyroiditis than I also have to wonder if a lot of my symptoms (perhaps even the ANA testing) was a result of that issue. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    Oh man that sucks because that stuff is awesome. Before I discovered that I used goldbond the medicated and the regular lotion and that worked pretty well. Also I get those rashes worse between my shoulder and elbow on my arm and have found desitin worked great. I know it's weird because it's for diaper rashes but it works. Cetiphil is a great brand for people with sensitive skin so I use that for my face.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

jessinmaine (06-05-2013)

Thanks

We just got proper sun here too and I felt so drained after being in it. The skin across my cheeks stung and felt really itchy. I'm assuming it is lupus...I noticed it before and thought it was hayfever, but this seems sun related. I hate sun creams. I cover up my skin except my hands and face. Really hoping that's enough, cos sun creams are slickly and bleurgh!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaynie For This Useful Post:

jessinmaine (06-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    Oh man that sucks because that stuff is awesome. Before I discovered that I used goldbond the medicated and the regular lotion and that worked pretty well. Also I get those rashes worse between my shoulder and elbow on my arm and have found desitin worked great. I know it's weird because it's for diaper rashes but it works. Cetiphil is a great brand for people with sensitive skin so I use that for my face.
    Desitin is a zinc cream I think. I may try that one night, if it's so bad I can't sleep. I was incredibly itchy all last night - the palms of my hands and soles of my feet felt itchy-burny. I could try that tonight if it happens again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessinmaine View Post
    Desitin is a zinc cream I think. I may try that one night, if it's so bad I can't sleep. I was incredibly itchy all last night - the palms of my hands and soles of my feet felt itchy-burny. I could try that tonight if it happens again.
    I feel your pain, it's always one thing or another with lupus. I had been so desperate because i'm itchy I use benedryl when it gets really bad.

And Jaynie:
    Nuetrogena has a good line of sunscreen and it doesn't leave you greasy.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Jaynie (06-05-2013), jessinmaine (06-05-2013)

Thanks

Thank you for your responses everyone. I did go to my primary the other day and she "thinks" I have a mold allergy, which is causing me to be so incredibly itchy. She prescribed a six day course of prednisone to help with the itchiness. Other than that, she's supposed to be sending me through for another rheumy referral - however, last time I checked with that rheumy they were not accepting new patients. :/

I also found a sunscreen that I'm going to try out. Most seem too heavy for my face, and often give me more breakouts. So far, I put on this sunscreen and it went on really light. It's the generic version of Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion from Rite Aid. (crossing fingers it helps)

I also picked up Sarna cream for my itchies too.